XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 12:33:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ram-os drive, XXHE v2.06b, Windows 10 build 14393.0  (Read 28603 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »

I just installed the Win 10 build 14393.0 as offered by Peter through download.
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=3683.msg39307#msg39307

With first listenings, as Peter mentions, there is lots of HF and the percussions are more lively and this is how I like it !

The only drawback I could see is that some voices may be a little more on the "edgy" side, but I will need to compare with Win 10 build 10586.0 and Windows 8.

As for the bass (LF), since I am still discovering the "goodies" from my recently upgraded NOS1a and I have noticed more presence and weight in that register, it is harder for me to report.

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:18:45 pm »

Thank you for reporting Alain !

I actually did not tell so much about it in the "announcing" topic, but the presentation is so different that it is hard to compare with anything in the first place. This is how I came to the more strange comparison with parts of Windows 7, others from W10 10074 and sound as the Silverstone card produces.

But for presentation as a whole, I don't know what to say really;
So far, all albums I play with one or a few tracks put to my Demo Gallery and which I now play in full, go track by track now all in the Demo Gallery. This means quite explicitly that tracks I did not find worth while to hear back regularly (for whatever reason back at the time) are now suddenly very worth while.

What I notice is the high level of foottapping, but in a rythmic up-sweeping sense. I suspect that the PRaT (Pace, Rythm and Timing) level is suddenly very high ...
Something really really happened.
I found myself singing along with a piano piece I actually don't know. Now who is singing along with a piano piece ... swoon

If anything, the voices could be a tad laid back, but not sure yet; yesterday I tried to discover the reality of that, but this is not so easy - especially not because there's so much going on elsewhere, suddenly.

The whole thing seems "unbreakable" if you know what I mean. It can't get too loud, you can't pick the wrong album, ... everything not only sounds wonderful ... it just sounds great. It should be capable of reversing a bad mood (although that seems too tough to do in general).

It feels like the lower frequency attacks (like the hit on a drum) are now very gradually evolving. You just hear and feel the hit coming.
Meanwhile the high frequency accuracy (sharpness / freshness / speed) is there as never before. It is (IMO) the combination of these both which makes a snare drum (snare on) for real.

Okay, now I said a couple of things. Hopefully you are all experience similar or even better ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »

Peter,

I always wonder how you can relate the sound of a previous version such as Windows 7 compared to a very recent version, but I trust your reports as I know that when you do (report), you have a method that has so often proven to be right.

I am excited too about this and I may even "scr*p" my experiences with Windows 8, but for the moment I will leave it on the disk. My 3 OSes (apart from the TEST version, build 14388) will be the ones I play with for a while, but you define the different attributes so well, it incites me to go "with the pack" if I can express things this way.

So I will put accent on this new version and yes it is well weighted in the LF, but man are those highs an incitative to smile !!!! It almost brings the sunshine to the grey weather we have her (but at least it is not hot and humid as it has been last week).

I hope that more will weight in to report their findings, but the percussions... It is mad Happy

Golden Earring "Radar Love" is in a league in itself with all those percussions. I feel crazy...

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:57:10 pm »

All is working fine here. Only a first impression.

Yes, that treble is somewhat lighter, thinner and even seems bright but above all, and after a while the feeling that prevails is the clarity.
Bass seems noticeably better, can be perceived the different bass tones better than before. Now the bass is not only an instrument to mark the rhythm, instead it makes music for itself. Maybe it is something obvious but to hear it clearly is not so easy.

Above all, again, this new 14393.0/XXHE v2.06b increases the consistency across the spectrum. The entire sound spectrum seems to live in a more harmonious and coherent manner. There is no sound holes. Now the sounds are played without pushing or overlap each other.

In conclusion, I would say it is again a step forward, although it must be done with a little time, especially to get used to the treble.

Putting a new operating system on the RAM-OS with the latest version of XXHE with the settings (they work for me) is an extraordinary advance in comfort and ease of use.

Congratulations and thanks, Peter!

Juan
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:34:12 pm by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:14:47 pm »

Hi all,

With the notice that the responses in here are overwhelming (not, but thank you Alain and Juan !), I now will be the only one not liking 14393.0. That is :

Yesterday, after several days of holding on to it, I finally gave up, booted into 10586.0 and had a great (listening) time.
14393.0 is too difficult to have right or not too bright or whatever it is that gives me the nerves;

I don't think it is wrong per se, but it will be the kind of "Silverstone card" behaviour which now gives too much of a character to the sound, or which is high frequency on-off stuff which is tiring or so. It is hard to tell.
The metal is fine, but nothing now is "soft" as such. Attacks also contain it. Something like that ...

Anyone ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »

Yes Peter, today I was thinking something similar. These highs make,  somehow, to miss the coherence of the whole. I thought that the loss of charm perhaps was because the ear had become accustomed, as usual, to the new sound. But those highs are still disturbing, more in some CDs than others, and never again, after all, look natural. Those highs make that this 14393.0 version has lost its capacity to thrill. So far.

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »

I was using the High filter 705600/768000 / 4.14%. Changing it to the High filter 705600/768000 / 3.72.0% seems to make the highs smoother besides a larger soundstage. Not sure yet if it solves the problem but I'm afraid that not totally.

Juan

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »

I was thinking something like this too. The first days can be exciting but after a while, some aspects can be a little too "sharp" (of "fresh" like you use to say Peter). For me it reflects in voices with a small "roar" as if the microphone was in the person's mouth (strange image, but...).

I realize that differences with a new version can sound appealing at first, then can become irritating. The "Silverstone" sound is a very good example.

Win 10 build 10586 seems to be the "natural" one - something like a "reference". Windows 8 (it is probable that I am one the the very few that still uses it sometimes) is a little less natural in the HF but it makes wonders in the LF, even if I find the differences less obvious (LF wise) with Win 10 build 10586.

What I find interesting is that these different versions alter the sound (or should we say the path and processing or the signal) enough to make things sound different, even if this was said many times.

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »

I was using the High filter 705600/768000 / 4.14%. Changing it to the High filter 705600/768000 / 3.72.0% seems to make the highs smoother besides a larger soundstage. Not sure yet if it solves the problem but I'm afraid that not totally.

Juan
Interesting Happy I have tried the custom filters a few times but I am unsure of the results. When I do not perceive enough differences (my hearing is not that good), I tend to go back to AP (Arc Prediction) alone... Maybe I should try the custom filtering more often...

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »

As for others participation, well summer and vacations but also lots of discoveries that you have unwrapped Peter - all may explain this... You are so active (but I certainly will not complain) Happy

Alain

Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 06:18:31 am »

I havn't commented because I'm still undecided.

But I am trying Paul's suggested settings(not sure which OS he tried this on, his sig says 10586) SFS 2/120, Q1=1 with 14393 and think I prefer them to SFS 120/120, Q1=10.

I have also removed the Intona temporarily. Even though the Intona does some good things I suspect it also throws a veil over the music.

Not dissimiliar from my experience with power filters and the Silverstone card.

Certainly since returning to no Min OS Base and back to RAM OS in 14393 it has become more buggy. Now I get odd errors(hard error box) but it still plays music.

Anyway I would like to listen to music and not the settings before I go mad!!!

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:37 am »

I was trying to rewind when it was the last time I was really impressed with the sound and it was when I changed my settings to the new ones: SFS 120.0 Max 120.0. XTweaks 43, 100,- 1, 1. Q1:14, Q3:0,  Q4:1, Q5:0 AND ClockRes: 1ms in place of 0.5ms.The custom filter was High 705600/768000 / 4.14%. And all that happened with W10-10586.0. XXHE v2.06a. I tested it again today and again the sound impressed me the same way. I changed the ClockRes to 0.5ms and the voice presence and smoothness was lost and the piano was somewhat a bit strident. Thinking that maybe the clue was in the clock resolution I returned with the same settings to the W10-14393.0 version. The result is that still the highs are a bit strident. So I return, for now, to W10-10586.0 with the settings mentioned above. However let me mention that the W10-14393 seems to have a better definition compared with W10-10586.0

Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »

I have also removed the Intona temporarily. Even though the Intona does some good things I suspect it also throws a veil over the music.

Hey Robert, you are really getting the hang of this all.
Maybe you recall me saying this :

N.b.: I hope I can speak for all of you, because I have again something new in my chain (and indeed meant for you all as well, later) and very maybe it can be so that this new "device" normalizes the highs so something very pleasant and special and without it, possibly the highs may come across as "overdone".

(the "for all of you" maybe must be "on behalf of all of you" for better English ?)

So that. I don't use the Intona but now something else. This is prototype of something which will even be ultimately better, but anyway with Intona I am not so sure whether I would have standed 14393.0 for very long. The highs are quite a level of "more" again and not for the better at all. That is, not for the better compared to that device I now use. But that device also brings quite "ultimately" better sound to 10568.0.
So it is hard to compare in your place, but if I had to do it with the Intona I would have said No.
But go figure, because I also have the B'ASS active (PCB's for that finally arrived today ! - but to test out) so all becomes very difficuly to lay out for you all. Still I can't hold back if I see a glimps of possible improvement. But this is also how more than 2 persons should have a verdict ...

Btw, my 2nd last night before I reloaded 10586.0, was almost all dedicated to finding the better settings for 14393.0. I ended at an SFS of 1, Clockres of 1 and Q1 of 14x1 (and thus not 14x10). I thought this was better standable.

However let me mention that the W10-14393 seems to have a better definition compared with W10-10586.0

Well, the sort of misery is that I too have the idea that 14393.0 is the better one, but that something else is destructive to it. Here's a funny thing that you will feel aquainted with :

With the Q1=14x10, Clockres is 0.5, SFS =120, NOS1 Driver Buffer = 16, all feels right. So it may get on my nerves for a not really known reason, but what's really strange is that as soon as I start "randomly" change one of those values back to the more commonly know (for me, like NOS1 Driver = 4), all falls apart and within seconds I am back at the old setting. Now, somewhere deep down this tells me that 14393.0 may be very good indeed, just because things belong to each other (sorry for this poor English). All fits. That we have some nerve breaking thing in there, could be a filter, for example. So yes, I saw you guys writing about that, but I did not think of changing those. It also feels a bit like the culprit being in that domain, althoug I only started to think of it when I saw you wrote about it.
I am still pretty sure that I hear much more through 14393.0, so why wouldn't that also show the baddies better ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »

Peter,

When you mention something better than the Intona, do you mean that the Intona is bringing something bad since build 14393 ?

I must admit that I never put the Intona in doubt since the beginning, as I felt something really good with it.

Alain

Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 10:55:11 pm »

Alain remove the Intona and listen. This is not caused by 14393 but is made worse. I'm not going back to 10586 yet. Whatever's wrong with 14393 will be solved I'm sure.

I had reason to remove it while upgrading a mod chip in my DAC and it definitely seeded doubts about its overall sound benefits in my mind.

I always have a problem with adding more wires and boxes between components. More connections/wires are problematic, less has always been best.

Ultimately the benefits of Intona should be incorporated in the DAC if these prove to be the case.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: