XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:47:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: setting up RAM-OS  (Read 12021 times)
eArch
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »

Hi Peter,

Now I have Windows 10586.0 running on my computer with all proper device drivers (verified in device manager). I have only one hard drive (the OS drive) on the computer. I tried removing the hard drive when windows is running, my mouse and keyboard stopped responding. Same test in running RDC, it just dropped the RDC session. Since it's not a RAM-OS, I thought this is an expected behavior. What should be my next step to setting up RAM-OS?

BTW, Richard's method (http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=3747.0) works - it limits all network activities to local area. Since windows activation needs internet connection. I ended up following all suggestions from googling, including disabling the update service. There maybe other hidden connections Windows is doing. We just have to see...  Wink

Best Regards,
George
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:31 pm »

Hi George,

Well done on the Update stuff.

Then, I don' know whether there's a misunderstanding, but the RAM-OS Disk is a physical thing you can buy from Phasure (360 euros, a present XXHighEnd license assumed). It needs to be shipped to you. After that, updates of it can just be downloaded.
However, your means to prove whether it will work out are feine (and approved Happy).

Ask away when needed.

Best regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
eArch
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the clarification.

Not quite clear how the installation of RAM-OS will work in my case -
1. just disconnect my OS disk and pop in the RAM-OS disk, boot and repeat the steps(??) I performed on my original OS disk?
or 2. with current OS disk running, plug in RAM-OS disk and?? (can't figure out yet)

I don't think I fully understand what is going to happen...  scratching  definitely up for trying, but what if I cannot make the RAM-OS to work for me?

Best Regards,
George
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »

Hey George,

I am sneakily laughing a litte bit because apparently people who lack the experience of normal RAM Disk playback, can never understand the RAM-OS Disk thing.
But undubtedly this is because in this world people spread the word that even an SSD is a "RAM Disk". This is wrong as such, because the phenomenon RAMDisk exists as long as MS-Dos exists, and probably earlier.

A RAMDisk is an area in internal memory of the computer (like your PC may contain 16GB of such internal memory) which is defined as "mapped disk". So what happens is that special driver programs like IMDisk allocate such area of memory (could be of any size (say 4GB) as long as enough remains for the OS itself and space for some other programs). Now a Drive Letter is assigned to that like M: or whatever you like and it totally looks like if it is a disk. But it is memory.
All IO to that "disk" is now blazingly fast because memory is so fast. It is infinitely faster as a normal disk and the same counts for an SSD, although an SSD is way faster than a spinning disk (and not to confuse you, but an SSD is also RAM but its means is relatively slow compared to normal internal memory (which we call RAM - Random Access Memory).

Still there ?

The RAM-OS Disk (named by my own idea about it and officially not existing anywhere except for what we do with it) is an operating system disk with as many pre-installed Operating Systems on it as would fit and/or you would like (to have). But it boots in a special fashion : the boot procedure copies the OS files to RAM (internal memory) first and when that has been taken care of, the system boots normally but from that OS copy which resides in RAM. N.b.: Formally that would be called a RAM Disk just the same, but now with the difference that the OS is copied to it and boots from there. So there we have the RAM-OS Disk.

In the second the OS has been copied to RAM, the disk itself can be removed already. However, we can not properly see that state, and so we wait until the OS has booted (which we surely can see - as usual) and which booting process itself takes no more than 2 seconds. Thus, when the system is up and running, you can take out the OS Disk (that is just what it is) and now nothing stops working or stalls. As a matter of fact, it will run for months without issue if you only don't shut down the system.

When you do shut down or reboot, you will or should do the following :
- Put back in the RAM-OS Disk so changed settings and more "state" can be saved to it;
- Use XXHighEnd to shut down or reboot because that will take care of above mentioned saving.
When you ordered to shut down, the PC is ready for the next boot (say tomorrow) because the RAM-OS Disk is in, which is required for booting. Or better : for giving its copy of the OS to RAM when the PC is switched on.

That's all !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Andre
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 05:39:31 am »

deleted
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: