XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 04:50:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Measuring XXHighEnd ...  (Read 64870 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:22:41 am »

All,

Since Januari 6 (which is a whole long week already) I have this still unopened box with 10K worth of audio measuring equipment;
It has been a dream for me to have such equipment, which will allow me to see what actually happens within XX at certain settings. Also, it will allow me to find theoretical best settings, or even other influencing means. So, be ready for that. teasing

I post this in advance to ensure myself doing it in the next coming days or weeks, and to at last prove that what we hear is no placebo.
Right now I don't know what I will find or where to find it. Part of it should be in the digital domain hence jitter, part of it will be in the analogue domain only (right behind the DAC).

The reason to at last buy this equipment originates from the Phasure NOS1 DAC which should be top of the bill, and which should go along with some real THD etc. data. But of course first there will be the process of improving by means of measuring and applying changes.

Whether it be XX or the DAC, you can bet that I will be measuring different things opposed to what is commonly done and accepted;
The fun is, that by now truckloads of experience tell me/us what influences how, and what we like and do not like. For example, I could grab an old XX version of which is appreciated it doesn't sound good, and compare with another of which is known it sounds good. From that possibly the properties can be derived which make what happen.

But now comes the combination ...

What is currently done via software so preciously and which is very fragile and far from absolute science, most propably and hopefully can be mimiced by hardware. If all is just about less jitter, we're done very fast. But I don't think it is and otther influences may play a larger role than we expect. This is why I will be measuring quite different things than commonly done.
If all works out as I expect, think of a Q1 button on the DAC that changes sound ... very happy

So far for now.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:41 pm »

Right, time to report a bit about this. heat

[Edit : I removed the pictures from this post, while the text was not changed accordingly]

First of all, the measurement equipment (officially there for these kind of things) brought nothing. I guess by now this a kind of known, partly (or mainly ?) because I ranted about it a bit elsewhere, and I seem to have one follower at least.
So, for weeks I have been thinking how to approach this, and while working on the "glitch" software two weeks back, I suddenly started to see some lights.
Two weeks later, which would be last Friday, the first part of a program to do it was ready, and this weekend I have been measuring and measuring and measuring. A brief view in the directory I use for it, shows that I took 133 recordings of an 80 second track, and below Compare01 may give an impression of what I compared.

The main conclusion is : oh yes, I can measure the difference !

The means used comes down to recording the music data from the analogue out from the DAC, and compare those recordings amongst eachother.
As you can see in Compare01 for each same version two recordings are taken, which is necessary for the interpretation of the correctness of the recording itself. More difficult to explain (so I won't even start that) but it is crazy difficult to obtain compareable recordings, which is related to offsets, sample rate and clock alignment(s). This summarized, it took me days already to get similar results from the same situations.

On a side note, keep in mind that for each difference measured, the bit perfectness is still obtained. This now can be checked by means of the same software very easily, with the setup of looping back the digital line into a digital in of the soundcard. This by itself is no exciting thing, but the fact that the same software is just, showing zero differences always, is a nice thing to know for good feelings (about some decent wat of working).

What do you see when the same settings are used ?

For XXHighEnd this would mean the same Q settings and all, and in general this is about comparing a player with itself, performing two runs with the same settings.

First let's see what's in that 80 seconds 16/44.1 file :
There are 80 x 44100 = 1,764,000 samples for one channel. Note all measurements are about one channel, which just is sufficient (for this purpose and for now).

To my findings so far, when a random *same* situation is compared, around 82% of the samples will be equal.
This means that for our example around 317520 samples are not equal.

Keep in mind that the maximum value in one sample (for one channel, 16 bits) is 65536, but that any situation which is officially equal will have a maximum off value in any sample of 1 (and more rarely 2). This gives an off value of 317520.
See below Compare02 for an example.

These ratios apply always and spring from general phenomena not under our control, but count for my DAC in this case. It will depend on things I currently don't know, but I have a most strong feeling somehow the clock of the DAC is influenced. I derive this from everything I saw at comparing and the patterns I saw. There is more to it though like the receiver chip, and of course jitter coming from the SPDIF connection I used.
If you take jitter as the example of something not being under our control (once the DAC is there), it is an explanation of not every run at comparing the exact same settings, ending up with the same figures. So keep in mind : at running the same settings, only 82% of samples will be the same, and the off value in one sample will be 1 only. I assume this is inaudible when you run a track twice, of which I just have proven it will not sound the same, because it just doesn't come out of the DAC the same.

What do you see when the settings are different ?

Simple : the percentage of samples being the same goes down, and the off value will rise. But there is a very profound other difference :
The off value per sample will be higher than 1 for many samples.
See below Compare03 for an example.

I'll spare you the longer list for now, but this is from a relatively mild difference in settings, and the percentage of samples the same dropped from 82% to 81% only, but the off value rased from 317520 to 361724.
This is a mild difference, but something more bad is going on : it happens in patterns. So what you see in Compare02 recurs throughout, and no matter how small the increase of the value per sample is, it recurs every few ms and it will imply an audble frequency by itself (think about dither and why it should be random and you'll understand).

Compare04 below shows a much more severe case;
Here the number of samples equal dropped to 40%, and the total off value rose to 1,980,277. This is not only because the spikes are deeper, but merely because of a more consistent off value, which you can see in the screenshot (the parts without spikes, but with a consistent +++ etc.).

Keep in mind : this is bit perfect. swoon

I have seen cases comparable to Compare03 but worse, which are beyond my capability of explaining so far. There's rows and rows and rows with the value just being of in a rather consistent fashion. It seems that something can get confused and won't recover for a while. But, it always does ... until it happens again.

Not to forget : when I'm talking about things getting confused, this has to be seen in the context of the phenomenon happening, can be repeated over and over. With this I mean, that the specific comparison of two (settings) situations showing this, do not show when the two files recorded from that same setting causing it are compared. Then it's just the known 82% of samples being the same, the others being off by a value of 1 (and rarely 2).
So whatever it is causing this, just can be repeated. Of course this is just the Q settings, or the player for that matter.

Further explanation

I explained the above without all the context needed, thinking it would be more easy to grasp. But what actually is happening, is this :

If you look at the screenshots again (03 and 04) ... you see the relative difference between two recordings. Or in other words, you're not seeing the difference between the original source and the recording. It all is crazy difficult already, and that is just another step for me. Besides that, comparing with the original recording would be impossible with an oversampling DAC which changes the data in the first place (I tried it, around 1% of equal samples are left then). Comparing recordings each from the oversampling DAC, however, just works
So it is about relative differences ...

This means that the pattern I talked about, and that by itself turning into an audible frequency, may indeed be so, when the setting I used for the base coincidentally is the absolute correct one. And I don't know that ...
Keep in mind : whaver setting I use and take two recordings from, show the same "being good".

What it comes down to, is comparing many settings, and learn from the relative differences in between those. If A-B shows a pattern, but A-C shows another pattern which also shows at B-C, you can bet C is creating that pattern. Once this is known, it is a reference by itself.
From this kind of operating I learned that a very high Q1 value compares very much to a very low Q1 value, which btw was the very last I expected.

To end this for now : Foobar WASAPI shows a mild pattern compared with XXHighEnd WASAPI (Engine#3) just the same, when compared with XX-Q-4-0-0-0-0 (which seems safe). So far, I don't know whether Foobar creates that pattern, or XX does it. We only know XX sounds better, but we actually don't know whether that's because an unauthorised frequency riding on things. So now it becomes more complicated, and the Q sliders can be used to simulate something which is going on in Foobar. When the comparison shows the normal 82% and off value, we'd be listening to Foobar ...

Nice

But it's not quite finished.
Along with some other analysis stuff, for your benefit, it will be in 0.9y (will take a while !), although I guess some of it will be available in the licensed version only. Must see about that.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:26:44 am by PeterSt » Logged

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:01:44 am »

To end this for now : Foobar WASAPI shows a mild pattern compared with XXHighEnd WASAPI (Engine#3) just the same, when compared with XX-Q-4-0-0-0-0 (which seems safe). So far, I don't know whether Foobar creates that pattern, or XX does it. We only know XX sounds better, but we actually don't know whether that's because an unauthorised frequency riding on things. So now it becomes more complicated, and the Q sliders can be used to simulate something which is going on in Foobar. When the comparison shows the normal 82% and off value, we'd be listening to Foobar ...

Wow, what a post!

I don't claim to understand everything you've written here, but it looks like you're finally being able to prove that differences between bit-perfect players do exist.

Please let the rest of us (who simply sit back and enjoy the results of your hard work) know how we can help you.

Good luck in your quest!

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:31:48 pm »

but it looks like you're finally being able to prove that differences between bit-perfect players do exist

True ...  Happy Happy

Currently I am working on some nice graphing of it all, and then the real work starts ...
You know, this takes so crazy much time that I kind of hope for - all of us (who like to contribute) to make some "world map" of this all, so it can be determined what is right and what is wrong. I am sure this is related to the DAC as well, but since usually everbody agrees on the software influence in general (outside Q sliders) being better or being worse (whatever is/was actual), there's common denominators over DACs to find. It really can be interesting I think, with in the end a possible conclusion about what actually happens and/or whether it is jitter sipling through through everything. In any case, my SRC can't stop "it" and the results are the same with and without SRC (in the DAC which I can switch on/off).

But I also saw that the Fireface itself is more prone to being stable (immune) for these things. Yeah, a device we use for SPDIF passthrough, so we never tested that for software influence (at least I never did). The difference is : a direct data (Firewire) connection ...
or ... a better clock relation to the capturing section ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jeffc
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:41:19 pm »

Hi Peter,

Re: Measuring XXHighEnd ... With results !

Amazing analysis here and fantastic insight, well done  good even though I can’t pretend to understand all your explanations and hypotheses of this complex phenomenon.

Although not completely understood, in super simplified terms, it seems then that a .wav file played back with XXHE (using its various Q settings) or Foobah, both of which are “bit perfect” with respect to the digital signal fed to the DAC chip, can “somehow” result in distinct differences in the analogue signal output from the DAC chip, which of course is what is amplified and what is heard.

Regarding your finding that “when a random *same* situation is compared, around 82% of the samples will be equal” and that in “a much more severe case; the number of samples equal dropped to 40%,” which I presume was when *different* situations were compared, I wonder whether differences of >82% of the samples using your measurement system (which I think your saying will be quite audible) might occur then between a .wav file (with the same checksum) written to HDD using a BluRay writer and a CD writer? Based on subjective SQ differences of such files, I’d be extremely interested in comparisons that examine this. Completely understand though if you’d need to clone yourself to find the time to look into this.  Grin

As your analyses here seem quite revolutionary and might provide answers to many questions surrounding why HDD .wav playback systems differ is SQ, thought I’d get in the queue early before other requests come in.

Cheers..Jeffc
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:14 pm »

Well, I must say I'm a little proud on this. Long from finished, but here's something for teasing :

05 is a part of 0.7 seconds from the difference between Q1 = 4 and Q1 = -4;

06 is a part of 0.3 seconds from the difference between Q1 = 4 and Q1 = 24.

Unattended, other Q sliders at 0.
Both snapshots are not throughout like that, but they are characteristics for the difference.

Let's assume we can hear this. Hahaha

* Compare05.png (53.38 KB, 1017x547 - viewed 5762 times.)

* Compare06.png (51.09 KB, 1013x549 - viewed 5824 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
astacus21
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

It is obvious from the above pictures, that Q sliders influences the sound and it is not placebo the differences that we all hear.

So with this technique you can visualize the relation between 2 different bit perfect Q settings. It is useful for finding some similarities between those settings, but how can this help to find the most accurate reproduction of sound? Is it possible to compare the results, in relation with the digital data before get inside the dac?  

M$ Server 2008 R2 Datacenter x64 engine3 / Q1=-3/ Q2=8 / Q3=24 / Q4=0 / Q5=0/, V=-12 Arc Prediction Upsampling x2,sfs=200,SFS.ini=2.1 Thread Priority Realtime -> onboard Realtek ALC889 SPDIF Coaxial-> 8x TDA1543 Nos Dac -> Earmax Pro Amp -> Senns 650
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:20:15 am »

Is there anything showing Q positions influencing 'phase' changes?  It seems to me that phase changes occur when messing with the Q sliders.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11:42 am »

Yes Dave, and you can actually see that in both above pictures;

The red line is how things should be. Everything above it deviates to plus voltage, everything below it to minus. And since there are patterns, who knows how this is perceived. Oh, note you see one channel only.

I think I saw my DAC switches absolute phase, btw most do. So whatever you want to see in the above, think about that.

But it is a good remark/question about that phase thing Dave. I already forgot about it, did not look at these pictures with that in mind, but indeed below a certain setting of Q1 we have always felt "phase change". "We" = many.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:25:47 am »

Ok, I think I'll be spending the rest of my life analyzing this stuff. Look what I found now :

Below you see a comparison between Q1=4 Attended and Q1=-4 Unattended.
What you see could be explained as breaking up sound. The point here is that this is a comparison between Attended and Unattended, and what you see happens exactly each one second. What is the main difference between the two ? one of them moves a time cursor forward, once per second ...
It always takes 12/100 of a second before everything is in rest again. Edit : I don't know how I got the 12/100, but if I'm looking again this is around 7/10. Sorry. Edit2 : No, sorry again, but 12/100 is correct afterall.

Anything else ?

* Compare08.png (44.83 KB, 1001x554 - viewed 5720 times.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:13:21 pm by PeterSt » Logged

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:09 am »

Peter,

Just for my understanding:

1. You are measuring from the analogue output of your DAC.

2. All comparisons are bit-perfect.

3. In the graphs:
x-axis = time
y-axis = no. of 'off values'

Is this correct?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:40 am »

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Note that "off values" is the difference between two recordings. Only thourough analysis between different sets of comparisons may unveil which recording is really off, and from that may come which one is the most correct. Only if reasons can be found for seen off values, like the one from the last example and the time cursor, one comparison may be sufficient to declare one recording as being off in absolute sense. And also :

Foobar WASAPI shows a mild pattern compared with XXHighEnd WASAPI (Engine#3) just the same, when compared with XX-Q-4-0-0-0-0 (which seems safe). So far, I don't know whether Foobar creates that pattern, or XX does it. We only know XX sounds better, but we actually don't know whether that's because an unauthorised frequency riding on things.

With the knowledge of the last picture, and without examining it again, I dare say that this too comes from the time cursor in Foobar.
So, once specifics are known and can be recognized, it becomes more and more easy to qualify what is happening in other situations. This will be a matter of experience.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

Foobar WASAPI shows a mild pattern compared with XXHighEnd WASAPI (Engine#3) just the same, when compared with XX-Q-4-0-0-0-0 (which seems safe). So far, I don't know whether Foobar creates that pattern, or XX does it. We only know XX sounds better, but we actually don't know whether that's because an unauthorised frequency riding on things.

With the knowledge of the last picture, and without examining it again, I dare say that this too comes from the time cursor in Foobar.
So, once specifics are known and can be recognized, it becomes more and more easy to qualify what is happening in other situations. This will be a matter of experience.

Hi Peter,

It would be very nice to have a foobar-wasapi comparison vs xxhe q1=4 attended (which seem to be the gold standard)

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 03:03:29 pm »

Nah, Q1=-4 Unattended is the gold standard... surely yes

But an XXHE - Foobar showdown would be awesome.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 12:26:16 am »

Your both wish is my command ...
Below you see (don't look at the window title !) :

(1) 1st trace 4-0-0-0-0 Unattended compared to Foobar WASAPI;
(2) 2nd trace -4-0-0-0-0 Unattanded compared to Foobar WASAPI;
(3) 3rd trace 4-0-0-0-0 Unattended compared to -4-0-0-0-0 Unattended.

Sidenote : The white graphs are the transients, as taken from the first (left one) mentioned. Generally they are the same for each trace because it isn't about that. However, it may look logical that anomalies in the DAC are cause by high transients. I could not prove this though.

Some notices (beyond the pictures you see, so trust me) :

a. (2) and (3) seem to be of opposite phase, which most likely is because of different offsets used. Strange explanation, but right now I have no other. Otherwise (2) and (3) are very similar.
Try to imagine the phase-change-thing, and that the base of (2) and (3) is -4 vs. +4 (the left one mentioned is the base).

b. If you look very carefully at the first trace of the first picture below (Compare09) you see that where the mousepointer is a "1 cm" repeating pattern occurs throughout. This is fragile, and note you're looking at a time span of 20 seconds here !

c. Compare10 has zoomed in (time span is now near 2 seconds) and with some imagination you can still see the pattern in the first trace.

d. While both (2) and (3) incorporate Q1=-4, you can see it masks all, and makes comparisons worthless. Keep in mind this is my DAC !

e. Compare11 is generally showing that some consistent thing is going on in my DAC; Where the mousepointer shows, right below you see the same but expanded (this is Q1=-4 doing that !), while the third trace shows exactly the same though in opposite phase, but dead sure again Q1=-4 doing it. If you look closely at the (1), (2), (3) above, you see there is no common denominator (none of the three elements, -4, +4, Foobar is in each of them), so my DAC must be doing this by itself. However, it is emphasized or it is not (like in trace 1 it is not).

f. Knowing that Q1=4 seems more reliable, Compare12 the most clear shows that in between Q1=4 and Foobar a pattern is present. It is mild though.

In a year's time I may have more firm conclusions. Just learning here. blush1

* Compare09.png (72.71 KB, 1064x714 - viewed 5709 times.)

* Compare10.png (65.44 KB, 1060x712 - viewed 8919 times.)

* Compare11.png (55.31 KB, 1063x698 - viewed 5658 times.)

* Compare12.png (55.7 KB, 1057x703 - viewed 5431 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: