XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 24, 2024, 12:02:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: future of firewire?  (Read 10820 times)
leifchristensen
Audio Loudspeaker

only the simplest can accommodate the most complex

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:33 pm »

noticed this on pc audio asylum
any opinions pls?
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=43513
best
leif

ASUS P5K-E/Intelquad6600/8gbkingston6400ram/SUPERTALENT ULTRA SSD 64GB systemdisk+4x500wdmusicdiscs/vista ultimate64bit/XXplayer ver.0.9z-2/AP QUAD q4(15/15/0/0)/player priolow/threadpriorealtime+4x,John Kenny modified/batterypowered clocks HiFace,  Twisted Pear Buffalo II reference dac and Avantgarde Trio custom  active basstowers (4xBD-15channel)powered by dual BD-30 amps,eq´ed by Rod Elliot P-84 and passively crossed over@130hZ with custom 24db/oct. passive line lvlv filter by Phil Marchand  and diy cost no object 6c45-IT-300Bamps(Borderpatrol based)+ a SOLID phono setup
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:35:55 pm »

Ok. Might you not have read it in between the lines in the DAC topic, here is my kind of special angle :

With the Phasure NOS1 I had in mind to provide it with an internal Firewire connection. Not especially because I wanted Firewire as such, but because from there I could use I2S as the better connection than SPDIF. Note that this is a 24/192 DAC, so I couldn't use USB (which is limited to 16/96).
Btw, I came up with the idea now several months ago, right in the "Buffalo" thread (at DIYA); you might have noticed it.

All these several months I have spent as much time on it as response times from suppliers/manufacturers allowed, and it was only last weekend I gave up on it definitly, since I found another I2S route. So :

First of all I found two manufacturers only, providing a Firewire chip. There may be more, but Google doesn't know them then.
Along with that, I found two suppliers; 1 per manufacturer.

Story from supplier 1 :
Yes we have a development board. Yes it is especially made for users for small amounts. Yes you can buy it. 370 euros.
And I did. I came full of dust, and at talking with the supplier over the phone lateron, indeed it had been laying there for 3 years.
It came with no drivers, which after a few rounds of emails came afterall, but did not work. After again a few emails I learned that the board was end of life. Then I grabbed the phone, which brought the news that a newer chip was available, but no development board was planned for it. Oh, there was at 1200 euro, but it didn't suit any of my needs. And keep in mind : a development board is for developing a PCB and all, which of course is stupid in my case. Even for 100 DACs it would be.
After the promise for a working driver, it took two other weeks before I received it (this was after 5 weeks of total throughput time), and the only thing that driver could do was crash software that normally produces sound. The use of it wasn't there anywhere, because I can't get more boards if needed.
The supplier offered to return it (but I still have it).

Story from suppplier :
Thank you for calling. Yes we can do that, but we changed our product names, and now this is such and so. Have to rush now. Tomorrow I will answer your questions.
No answers anymore.
In the mean time I found more about there products, and could ask better questions. One was : hey, with your old product names 192KHz was available, not anymore now ?
After this new email with questions there was a first answer : no, we must change the drivers first. Ah, oh, so I am the first one needing 192KHz, right ? Well, I sure won't pay for this, and let everybody use it. ->  yea, well, no, channels, bandwidth blahblah. But I have to leave now for a week, and will give you a quotation after that.
No quotation seen.
Last week I asked politely what happened, but I guess the poor man will be at CES forever, or whatever it is that does't make him sell anything.
Never heard anything back, and this lasted from December 12. Mind you, this company had a perfect small board ready for use by anyone with some soldering capacities. But my guess is that it was air only.

Right. It looks like something is very wrong in Firewire land. Suppliers from real life boards cannot deliver. Further suppliers are just not known. The phone conversations with Supplier1 told me that. There *are* more suppliers, but they deliver for Weiss et all, and the only thing which could be done is that Supplier1 would buy back from guys like Weiss. Or I had to do it myself.
Hey there Daniel, I'm building a DAC myself, and since you're the only one with a kind of consumer DAC carrying Firewire, I suppose I can get a few Firewire interfaces from you ?
Yeah, right.

It looks like this market is dominated by some long known manufacturers, and there is just no openness to new ones. I never suggested I wanted to build a single DAC for myself, and merely asked for 100+ quotations. Nothing leads me to actual manufacturers for help, except for Google. And of course that doesn't help much, because 1 million comes first then.

At least now we know why no consumer DACs with Firewire exist (and personally I don't call any Weiss product a consumer product -> all Pro). It just can't be done at lower volumes.

Because all is so closed, it is my guess that the Firewire companies know by a long time that Firewire times are over. There is a huge existing Pro market, but no real new products emerge there (Weiss possibly being one of the latest). Not at the real levels of 24/192 (96 is another matter).
Chips are sufficiently available, and reproduced when necessary;
When new markets emerge like PC audio needing Firewire (careful here, and I might have been the very first exploring the Fireface800 for such a reason back in 2005), this is too late. There is no anticipation on these kind of initiatives.
Isn't it stupid : PC's are full of Firewire TRANSMITTERS, but no boards exists to be a RECEIVER. Yea, that one Supplier2 board guy, who doesn't want to sell.

Ok, this was just a real life story.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
leifchristensen
Audio Loudspeaker

only the simplest can accommodate the most complex

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

just one misunderstanding:
USB is not limited; it´s the drivers writtten for it
check Gordon Rankin of Wavelength
best
Leif

ASUS P5K-E/Intelquad6600/8gbkingston6400ram/SUPERTALENT ULTRA SSD 64GB systemdisk+4x500wdmusicdiscs/vista ultimate64bit/XXplayer ver.0.9z-2/AP QUAD q4(15/15/0/0)/player priolow/threadpriorealtime+4x,John Kenny modified/batterypowered clocks HiFace,  Twisted Pear Buffalo II reference dac and Avantgarde Trio custom  active basstowers (4xBD-15channel)powered by dual BD-30 amps,eq´ed by Rod Elliot P-84 and passively crossed over@130hZ with custom 24db/oct. passive line lvlv filter by Phil Marchand  and diy cost no object 6c45-IT-300Bamps(Borderpatrol based)+ a SOLID phono setup
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:30:16 pm »

Almost completely true Leif. Any audio application (DAC wise) which uses another protocol than intended by mr M$ won't run on Vista WASAPI. Ask Steve N. from Empirical. Or the users here who can't use Engine#3.

Your turn. Happy Happy
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »

It looks like this market is dominated by some long known manufacturers, and there is just no openness to new ones. I never suggested I wanted to build a single DAC for myself, and merely asked for 100+ quotations. Nothing leads me to actual manufacturers for help, except for Google. And of course that doesn't help much, because 1 million comes first then.

At least now we know why no consumer DACs with Firewire exist (and personally I don't call any Weiss product a consumer product -> all Pro). It just can't be done at lower volumes.

Because all is so closed, it is my guess that the Firewire companies know by a long time that Firewire times are over. There is a huge existing Pro market, but no real new products emerge there (Weiss possibly being one of the latest). Not at the real levels of 24/192 (96 is another matter).

I agree.

Chips are sufficiently available, and reproduced when necessary;
When new markets emerge like PC audio needing Firewire (careful here, and I might have been the very first exploring the Fireface800 for such a reason back in 2005), this is too late.

Also true. But there will be usb3. But There also will be native M$ firewire audio drivers and some far east company may make some boards then.
We'll see...

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:37:12 pm »

If you're intending to use a firewire interface with W7 RC, you'll need to use the legacy driver...

Mani.

* W7 1394 driver.JPG (50.78 KB, 622x437 - viewed 740 times.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:26 pm »

Thank you Mani !

It didn't even know the Firewire driver can be changed.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: