XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 04:25:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up the ultimate system!  (Read 39326 times)
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »

Welcome here my friend to the Show That Never Ends; PC-audio. [Emerson, Lake and Palmer]. Or as a famous person once said: PC-audio is like driving an old car. Always something to be fixed…

OMF is building up a very ambitious system, with both the best hardware and the best software components. Soon he will have a dedicated big listening room too, that lucky bastard. The heart of the system is the Norwegian DRC system Audiolense, which I also have implemented successfully. Audiolense is generating a soundfile (an “inverse” of everything to be corrected according to mic measurement/user eq/etc). The signal must run “trough” this sound-file, before entering the DAC.

With media players like WMP or Foobar, this is easy, because they have options for plug-in modules.
Unfortunately XX doesn’t. So you have to create a digital loop in the software-chain somewhere, and use a programme like Console or Bidule which accommodates plug-ins where the Audiolense soundfile can be read.
I managed this in the “Mixer”-program which is included with my FF400 external soundcard. However OMF is using a LYNX internal soundcard. I don’t know it, but probably there are similar features also there?

I’m not an expert in this field. I only pretend to be. Actually it is my kid brother who set up everything, he-he, with help from local guru Stig-Erik Tangen. Perhaps I downplayed the problems waiting in this field, but OMF should be up to the task, anyway. Also it’s too late for him to turn now, anyway, after everything is purchased. [Evil laughter].

As a starting point, I would check with Lynx usergroup or customer service “how to create a digital loop inside the soundcards software, to manage a 6 channel hi-rez plug-in”.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:31:00 am »

The XVR1 is what I've used for a few years now as a xover, and until Peter finally got the volume control in XXHE (omg happy day that was) it was also my preamp!  Imagine having to change 4 volume knobs every time you wanted to change vol... hehe.  I got pretty good with it but, thank goodness Peter pulled off fairly small volume steps; I'd sure hate to go back.  The XVR1 is remarkably flexible in xover settings (have to change jumpers inside) for an analog xover... I don't know if there's anything like it. (I'll have to peak inside to remember what my settings are... it took me about a year to zero in what settings I like).  Being an 'insider' at the time I got it for $2500.  I was told it was made mainly for speaker designers to zero in on what xover settings they'd like to build with parts.  I've thought about the audiolense stuff that pedal uses...I do have a Fireface 800 which would do the trick, but,,, I do fear running any extra stuff/programs on the computer/transport.  Seems like every thing going on in my computer makes a difference (guys w/ FF, sorry, but shut off the mixer when playing back music).  The XVR1 is great for now; maybe the future/Peter holds the key for a digital xover (how bout xxhe on one computer and a xover on another??? eheheh).
Sounds like I could use some Brain Salad Surgery eh?

I'll lookup the XVR. If you want, send me a pm with some link and infos.

(Peter, are you happy for me to place this link?)

Here's some info about the XVR1 x-over: http://passlabs.com/pdf/product%20lit/xvr1_lit.pdf

Cons:
- not cheap: were around USD 5-6K each when I bought mine about 5 years ago
- only 2-way: you'll need to buy a pair for 3-way operation and 'daisy chain' the output of one channel to the input of another
- not suitable for any sort of correction
- not sure if they're still in production
- I've never seen one for sale on used market (and I know why!)

Pros:
- very transparent
- much better than passive x-over from speakers (Wilson Benesch Chimeras)
- much, much better than DEQX 2.6P

Hope this helps.

This is my choice:
 http://www.digitalaudio.dk/

Looks very interesting. Didn't you used to have a Meitner??? In any event, I realise that you need a 6 channel DAC, right?

As I said earlier, if you've managed to get digital x-overs to work well, then that's great. I just never did - and the XVR1s were a breath of fresh air...

Mani

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:47 am »

Oh yes, you are sure up to that. But when you wake up you will find that xover to recide in the DAC ...
whistle
uploaded to there by you
whistlewhistle
and changed by you when needed
whistlewhistlewhistle

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:48:22 am »

Oh yes, you are sure up to that. But when you wake up you will find that xover to recide in the DAC ...
whistle
uploaded to there by you
whistlewhistle
whistlewhistlewhistle

ok now I'm   dancing
so maybe there will be an XVR1 on the used market sometime?
volume to be uploaded to dac too? with multi analog outputs? hmm

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
OMF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:28 am »

Hi again!

The XVR1 shure look like a fantastic product to start experimenting with active XO. However - from a teoretical point of view (which for me is the most important) I see no advantage! whistle

I had some help from the developer of Audiolense yesterday - and we installed Console. And I am pretty shure that my "new" system will be up an running this weekend.

I must say (this will probably cause a riot in here... yahoo) that in my opinion the advantages of doing EQ, XO and group delay correction lossless and very accurate in the digital domain - is far far more important than any extra strain put on the computer. And with the output from the Lynx AES  16e SRC synced with the Masterclock in the DAD (less than 10ppm jitter) - I am shure I will be fine!

(A short questions here.....How is the connection between XXHE and my Lynx card working....where can i set the buffer size...?)

Best regards
OMF
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:26 am »

Sounds very cool OMF. I especially like the fact that you're using the DAC as the master clock and syncing everything to it - I really don't like asynchronous anything... or upsampling for that matter... or 1-bit DSD (but that's another subject!).

When I was doing something similar (but far less sophisticated) a few years ago, the biggest issue for me was controlling the volume. How are you doing this?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:22 am »

so maybe there will be an XVR1 on the used market sometime?

If there is, let me know - I'm looking to go 4-way... all analogue!

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 11:30:51 am »

The XVR1 shure look like a fantastic product to start experimenting with active XO. However - from a teoretical point of view (which for me is the most important) I see no advantage!

Yep, from a theoretical point of view, 300dB/octave filters should sound great. Try it with your DEQX and see what happens. I remember asking DEQX why they recommend sticking below 90dB/octave. They said it sounds better, but could give no theoretical reason why.

In my 'real' experience, nothing other than 6dB/octave sounds right... Of course, this creates all sorts of other issues, but then that's hifi for you - just full of compromises  unhappy

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
OMF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 11:33:55 am »

When I was doing something similar (but far less sophisticated) a few years ago, the biggest issue for me was controlling the volume. How are you doing this?
Well - I can do it in the player (XXHE), but I would propably try to keep the S/N as high as possible when doing the correction filter - so I would use the Lynx Mixer (SW) and adjust volume on the output (Digitally of course - 24 bit)....In that way the volume control will be the final element before the digital stream heads out to the DAC. I also have the option to adjust gain - both on my power amps (3 steps) and the DAC output - so that I can make sure that 0dB output from equals my maximum wanted SPL - making the digital attunuation as small as possible.

BR
OMF
OMF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 11:46:24 am »

Yep, from a theoretical point of view, 300dB/octave filters should sound great. Try it with your DEQX and see what happens. I remember asking DEQX why they recommend sticking below 90dB/octave. They said it sounds better, but could give no theoretical reason why.
Well - 300dB/Octave is just silly.
The two driver units would most likely have very different dispersion patterns at the XO frequency - and that steep XO will create a huge step in the energy respons of the speaker - and the "in-room respons". However - I am quite certain it will sound better than a equally steep passive filter... Cool

As for eveything else - you have to "work with" the technology - not against it.
This is not my area of expertice - but steep filters creates ringing as far as I can tell....surely for 300dB/Oct. So - I will not set up my system with anything close to those values - maximum 60db/Octave....for the bass - certainly less.

I have deliverately built my system to "work with" the technology - and if this ongoing upgrade - from Cd drive/DEQX to PC/Audiolense/DAD does what it should do on the paper - I can certainly say I would never look back. And even though I have heard quite a few systems - none of them are even close to the perceived SQ in my system in current state!  yahoo (with my preferences that is...)

BR
OMF
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 02:48:36 pm »

Left and right filters shouldnt be the same freq and steep. Each should be tailored on the driver properties.

I didnt experiment yet, but I have read a lot and the dispute between IIR and FIR, it's a matter o taste or better, what our ears perceive.

Looks like I have to play with both, which means trying the best software XOs that I know of, that is acourate, audiolense and thuneau. And pay for all of them, because the demos don't do sh*t, pardon my french.

A problem that is present now with using XXHE is that it does NOT rely on asio, so, after you play with Console or any other asio-based signal router/processor, you cant do anything about that. You can apply those filters to foobar with asio output.

This unless you can do at driver-level, such as with the fireface totalmix. I'd like to know if the Lynx has similar software but I dont think so. Also, i'd like to know about the internal (cheaper) RME cards.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 02:49:15 pm »

whistle
uploaded to there by you
whistlewhistle
whistlewhistlewhistle

Gimme gimme gimme!

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
JuiceHifi
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 09:44:01 pm »

Looks like I have to play with both, which means trying the best software XOs that I know of, that is acourate, audiolense and thuneau. And pay for all of them, because the demos don't do sh*t, pardon my french.
sign0144qp7

You don't have to pay for Audiolense unless you choose to use it in the end. There is a satisfaction guarantee attached. The purchase fee is like a deposit; You can get a 100% refund if you are not satisfied.

Or you can send me a mail and maybe we can find a way where I can generate a set of trial filters for you. But that will only be a first taste, and not likely to produce the best sound you can achieve with Audiolense. Crossover optimization introduces quite a few significant variables compared to tweaking a set of passive speakers.

Best regards,

Juice Hifi
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 12:01:12 pm »

Or you can send me a mail and maybe we can find a way where I can generate a set of trial filters for you. But that will only be a first taste, and not likely to produce the best sound you can achieve with Audiolense. Crossover optimization introduces quite a few significant variables compared to tweaking a set of passive speakers.

Thanks that would be nice. Waiting for Peter to finish the DAC, though Happy
For now i'll play with the dcx.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:

Hardware:
han
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:38 pm »

Hi there,

Since I'm the very happy owner of the Weiss Minerva DAC, I chose Firewire, being the best connection with my PC (according to Daniel Weiss and my own very ears...).

My question to you all: Is there anybody out there who did compare different Firewire cables (they range from very cheap to as expensive as my dedicated music computer....). Did anyone hear differences in SQ using simple ot better cables? Theory is that there can't be a difference but in Audio world nothing is rational I believe... pardon

Greetz, Han

i7 core, HT on//Windows 7 prof. 64//XX High End 9z-5 on SSD // *Engine#4* //special mode// Q1/2/3/4/5 = -/14/0/0/0 // scheme 3// Playerprio = Low // ThreadPrio = RealTime // /Services Off// 4x  Upsampling //sfs 90//clock res 1 ms//straight contiguous// Weiss DAC 202 // NAT Magnetostat Pre-amp// NAT Magma M monoblocks // Kaiser Kawero// Siltech Signature
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: