XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 10:31:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Improving PC PSU and Reducing PC EMI/RFI Improve SQ?  (Read 197164 times)
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:18:05 pm »

Hi All,
I'm new to XXHE, but became an instant convert when I heard 0.9y4 on my Zalman music server. 

Like many of us I have tried many tweaks over the years to improve SQ - some worked, some actually hurt SQ (1 step forward, 2 steps back) and others did nothing.

Recently, I did some experimentation with reducing EMI/RFI inside my Zalman PC.  Basically I took some ERS cloth (known for its EMI/RFI absorptive qualities), put it in a plastic bag (its conductive material!) and carefully encased my Lynx AES16 card.  The improvement was immediate.  Noise was reduced and SQ improved, specifically, richer tonality and increased micro/macro detail.  Has anyone else experimented in this area?   I've also put some ERS on my Zalman PSU with good results.  Next, I'm going to try putting some ERS on the IC chips on the Lynx.  The ERS is OK with high temp applications and the Lynx card doesn't run hot anyway.

Secondly, I've almost always found improving PSU (power supply unit) in components yields improvements.  I power my components with a PurePower 2000 APS which did great things for my SQ, but my Zalman PSU is just a stock switch mode PSU.  I would think, at a minimum, that the Lynx card would benefit from having a higher quality power supply, but the guys at Lynx tell me they don't think so....however, they also told me that added shielding wouldn't increase SQ.  Has anyone done work in this PSU area?
Thanks for sharing!

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
Per
Audio Loudspeaker

Music is forever...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:23:03 pm »

Hi Earflappin,

Fun you mention it - I have also thought a lot about this. Actually I plan - when my health allows - to set up an external PCI expansion box that only contains the soundcard. Besides needing the physical strength to fiddle around with all this (I suffer from a severe muscle disease) it is also a rather expensive approach. A box like this from Magma http://www.magma.com/products/pci/1PCI/index.html costs about a grand (thats more than a hot-rodded PC!) I have though seen a noname box - for PCI express only - at around 300 dollars but the EU based company (I do not recall the name) never responded to my inquiry if a PCI interface card was available.

The idea about seperating the soundcard and the PC is - as I see it - that you can supply this box (and your soundcard) with a clean DC supply (12 volts) from a SLA battery or the likes. Secondly the soundcard sits alone in the box - totally awasy and shielded from the motherboard and other noisy parts of the PC. The only connection between the PC and the expansion box is the PCI / PCI-express interface cable between them. (There might be twists to this that I do not see a non engineer)

It would be very interesting to measure distortion and and noise on a soundcard sitting 1) in a PC vs the same soundcard 2) in an expansion box with its own DC (battery) power supply.

Another and more DIY approach could be to use a PCI riser for the soundcard in an ordinary PC, cut the 5 and 12 volts supply tracks on the riser card and connect these by wires to an external power supply instead. That would be a lot cheaper than an expansion box (if it works that is) The only thing that this solution would not do is seperating the soundcard from the noisy inside of the PC. But that could be had if you'll be radical enough to extend the PCI riser out through PC case having the soundcard sitting in a cage outside the PC - much like you see with tube amplifiers! That would look pretty cool, I think  Cool The only problem with this radical approach would be whether the distance between the soundcard and the motherboard would be too long but with the right case it should work - maybe a mini or low profile (1) PC case.

Now I got this out of mind (for now) - so thanks for bringing up the subject of EMI / RFI / Power supply, Earflappin. It has been a pleasure to read about adventures with setting up XXHIGHEND.

Good luck to you and all - and please keep us posted on the results Wink I personally would love to know if anyone has actually tried the expansion box approach to the soundcard and if they actually gained sound quality improvements from this.

Best wishes,

Per

Sep 2010
Acer Aspire M1201 | AMD Athlon Dual Core 4450e 2.30 ghz | 2GB RAM | Hitachi HDD (SATAII) 384GB | Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 | XXHighEnd 0.9y-8  Engine 4 | Q1/2/3/4/5= 14/14/7/0/0 | No Invert | KS Mode=Adaptive | Device Buffer Size=1024 | Split file=60 | DAC at 24 bit 44.1 khz | No Invert | No Upsampling | Playerprio=Low | Threadprio=Realtime | Scheme=3 @ Attended | -> PCI AudioTrak HD2 Advance DE | -> Sony EarPhones and Philips PC-speakers ;-)
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:34:42 pm »

Per,
Thanks for your response and best wishes on your health.  Do you live in Sweden by chance?  Love that country - used to live there as an expat years ago.

I have considered the approach you suggested about using a riser and use a battery to provide the power to the Lynx card, as well as using a separate box to remote mount the sound card.  Do you know if there are any sync issues with these PCI/PCIe sounds cars?  I.e. is it okay for the cards to be powered up and down separately from the mother board?  Bottom line, I am game to invest the time and $$ to try this, but could use some help in being sure I specify the right parts.  Personally, I think there is a reasonable boost in SQ to be had by doing this.  And this approach would be alot less expensive that trying to provide the entire PC with power via a linear power supply for example.

So...what would you suggest as a battery for power?

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
Fidelio
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »

Thank you for starting an interesting thread. Using an internal card as my source, I relate very much to this issue.

Personally, I have not experimented with internal isolation, nor with PSU mods, but I have discovered big differences in sound with different mainboards. I suspect this is mainly due to quality differences of the power delivered to the card. I think mainboard power quality is more important than PSU quality; I cannot hear big differences between PSUs.

- XXHE 0.9y-5 (Q 0/0/0/0/0)/Engine #4/Scheme 3/invert/Quad AP
- Cantatis Overture
- Naim amps
- Wilson Benesch speakers
- Chord Co. cables
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »

Guys, you won't get much cheaper than the Magma, and you can bet I spent time on this one. Besides, people claim it may not help all that much because of the hight frequency of the PCI bus itself.
I think I recall the PCIe solution as being cheaper, but I forgot what is wrong with it. Something is though (but maybe I just couldn't use PCIe at the time Happy).

The riser "cables" won't make it to outside of the PC because everything you can buy is too short (say 7 cm or so max). Maybe with some DIY it can work though ... I don't know ...

May one of you go the route of external PCI, keep in mind that the topologies used for it differ quite a lot. One can do 10 meters, another 100. One uses DVI, another Cat5 (or 6).
One box can hold 1 card, another 16 ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

I found this on-line for $400.

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2PCIE4L-PCI-Express-to-2-PCI-Full-Length-2-PCIe-Single-lane-Expansion-Box.aspx

I did live chat with them, but they were unable to suggest a supplier for a compatible battery power supply.  Anybody know where I should look for that? 

Thanks!

Fidelio
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 05:55:46 pm »

I think it is cheaper to invest in a motherboard that supplies really good power to the PCI slots. The new Gigabytes are brilliant in this respect by the way.

- XXHE 0.9y-5 (Q 0/0/0/0/0)/Engine #4/Scheme 3/invert/Quad AP
- Cantatis Overture
- Naim amps
- Wilson Benesch speakers
- Chord Co. cables
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »

Thanks Fidelio.  I use an Asus P5Q-EM 775 G45 RT.  This was the recommended mobo for my Zalman fanless TNN-300 chassis.  Not sure how it's power delivery system rates.  Again, I am just hypothesizing that better power to the PCI card will improve SQ.  Since I've not come across anyone who can validate this hypothesis I think I'm just going to have to give it a try.

Looks like the PCI card needs +12V, -12V, +5V and +3.3V.  Magma does offer an option with an XLR4 to 12V cable so you can provide power from a lighter or 12V battery.

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »

I think it is cheaper to invest in a motherboard that supplies really good power to the PCI slots. The new Gigabytes are brilliant in this respect by the way.

I have made this exact change some months ago, went frome GA-EP35-DS4 to GA-EP45-EXTREME (overclockers-board)(both Gigabyte)
This improvement was quite BIG !
Did not expected that to happen, but it really does.

Roy

PS: the more of those black square cubes (or how do you call them!)(for power supply) on there the better.
      (look at the black square blocks around cpu)

* motherboard_productimage_ga-ep45-extreme_big[1].jpg (65.11 KB, 500x420 - viewed 3492 times.)

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »

Thanks for the input.  I'm checking to see what Gigabyte board is compatible with my Asus P5Q-EM. 

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:30 pm »

Don't worry,

Its already a very good MB, you have there, same specs as the Gigabyte.
But the difference is that this Gigabyte is an OVERCLOCKERS board.
With better power regulation (or power lines), especcialy for that purpose.

I mean you can overclock any motherboard.

PS: and watch out, mini-ATX and ATX !! (it wont fit)

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:54:42 pm »

Thanks for the tip!  BTW, on the EMI/RFI front, have you found that using copper foil (as opposed to tin foil...  Happy ) or ERS cloth to help with SQ by suppressing EMI/RFI inside the PC?

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 06:56:24 pm »

I found this on-line for $400.

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2PCIE4L-PCI-Express-to-2-PCI-Full-Length-2-PCIe-Single-lane-Expansion-Box.aspx

I did live chat with them, but they were unable to suggest a supplier for a compatible battery power supply.  Anybody know where I should look for that? 

Thanks!

THIS IS GREAT

Good bye to that Magma stuff which for functionality is the best out there, but this just equals it (did you see the laptop card ?).

If this existed 6 months ago I'll eat some ties.
But about that ... I can't even find it back when going through their products ...

Ok, you can be sure I'll get me one of these and measure noise and everything. Will try some good power supplies as well. You might want to wait for the results.

David, thanks man.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:50:29 pm by PeterSt » Logged

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:24 pm »

I think I can see were this leads, haha  Grin

clapping

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:36 pm »

Glad to put this on your radar screen.  If I send you some poffertjes or matjes will it make your testing go faster?   Happy

I'm going to wait on your findings Peter and in mean time just experiment with reducing internal EMI/RFI and getting a new mobo.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  

Jump to: