XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 08:23:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Heaven  (Read 85069 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 10:19:28 pm »

Right. With the feeling of hijacking this topic further and further (sorry) I now have something for you, you won't have heard of before. That is, I didn't even attempt Google to find out, so sure I am about this.

Will it be helpful for anything ? No. Totally useless. But it *is* something which seems the most strange at first, until you read my explanation about it; this will be in the last paragraph.

So ...

The "behind the bar" (see earlier post) is our kitchen. It is adjacent to the listening room and is part of the total space mentioned before. This means the smells of the kitchen will be in the (actually) living room. No problem, as long as the smells are good.
Today risotto was prepared, and this means a small fry of rise, next poored with cold bouillon. This gives a sort of heavy reaction in the frying pan with the by then frying rise. No worries, this is meant to be.

Although I didn't prepare this meal, I was in the kitchen area myself, just watching it. Nothing strange occurred, and all went OK. Smell ? no smell other than maybe unions which were fryed right before.

As happens so often, I walk towards the audio PC which is around some half-height wall; the end of it towards the kitchen is closed, so I have to walk to the other end of it, which is more near to the left speaker. Some 2 meters away from it. Behind that wall is the PC space (call that office in the living room) which by itself is 2 meters wide (and some 5 meters long). So, I walk around the back end of this wall to get to the audio PC's keyboard ...

Being just around the corner this smell came to me. A slight smell of something being overheated. Overfryed. I walked passed this area and the smell was gone. Walked into it again, and there it was again. So, after walking and "waving" through it for two times, I went to my wife (in the kitchen) and asked her to walk to the audio PC's keyboard and smell all the way. At the exact same place she stopped and says Hey !!

Let me tell you, I walk to that place back and forth maybe 20 times during a cooking session each day. Who cookes ? doesn't matter. This never happened before.

Inspired by my just half an hour back measuring the room for SPL, I thought to explicitly measure that area, which is about 1 square meter (where the smell was).

Of course I measured 4 dB "under" in exactly that area;

Last paragraph :
Immediately it is obvious to me that this small area must be under pressured. So, all air will flow to it, as will smells. But why this fairly explicit thinking, and this post anyway ?
Because the tweak I talk about is exactly about this. That I never noticed this can be a coincidence, but I don't believe it will be. Add to this, that this is just behind (in front of) the very same 1.5-2 meters in front of the speaker the sound springs from (and where I measured the somewhat higher SPL), and things start to work. What starts to work ? well, my control of it. Things become logic and measurable.
I think now I can setup some test signal (audible through the speakers, so it may not be a nice event), and tune it all in.

At first I missed this spot (with the SPL meter) because of course one can't measure each square inch so precicely. Also, normal music was playing which is very real, but not the most convenient for measuring obviously.
Now, what shall I do ? boil some love milk on the stove and start sniffing around ? the most smelling places should be conjunctures of added sound (but think standing waves). This follows from the story. But why so ? well, where the most air is, the most will sound expose ? seems logic too.

Energize the room eh ? same story in fact.
High general air pressure ? should be a good thing. Pump up the room ? looks good.

bye

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 08:17:55 am »

Obsession!
I love it. I know it.
Try to tell your kids (3 and 6 years) what you are doing if you don't know what you are doing but know that what you are doing is absolutely right (although it might take some time to get where you are going, sometimes not knowing what goal you are heading to).
It took me month to dial in my system and right now I think I have to do it again. My daughter sometimes standing beside me, asking, Dad why did you touch the speaker? Because it changes the sound!
I am off working (consulting) with a smile on my face.
Don't stop!
Have a nice day
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit *SP1* on sd (Macbook Air)/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Mixed / SFS = 400 / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended /All Services Off/ *Minimize OS = On* / *Double Octo* Arc Prediction Upsampling /24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Octave HP500 SE ->ADAM Pencil (active) (all PCs Lessloss Signature, Lessloss Firewall, ICs Lessloss Anchorwave and HMS Sestetto, 3 Lessloss Blackbodies)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »

Really I am all for a good measure of obsession - lets face it without it we would not have NOS (Netherlands Obsessive Supremo) he he.

Peter - I would be interested to know what the SPL levels look like sans upgrade (or have I missed that elsewhere?).

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »

Yesterday I took the tweak out ande measured again. Different at all spots and the margin is 4dB in general, 6dB max.
Still measured with normal music playing, so maybe this is not reliable. Or maybe it just is.

But now the big surprise maybe :

I took out the tweak because I wanted to take it out.
Eh ...

The major problem I have with it is that I keep on thinking something is faked. Like the L/R fast crossing would be that.
Or maybe the major problem I have with it is that it seems I can't stand it.
Possibly the major problem I have with it is that I'm fairly sure the accuracy is debeted. Or that the sound isn't "my sound" anymore.

The whole room seems to be full with "standing waves". This is how it feels, this is how it hears. No change per spot, but a sort of "zooming" everywhere. An energy which doesn't belong. An amp which ain't right.

Maybe, just maybe the real problem is that the tweak has too many settings. Call it an infinite number of them. This, while without the real knowledge you could keep on changing settings forever, always thinking there might be a good one, while in the mean time you know things are - or feel wrong.
I am not like that. No time for it either.

In the mean time it must be so that I have lost the bet Paul. Now, are you going to give me a brand, or shall we select on the alcohol percentage (I recall that whisky can be up to close to 70%).

Sorry for the rumble,
Peter

PS: Maybe in a year's time I know how to deal with this.
whistle

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2011, 06:04:05 pm »

Hey Peter,

Phew!!!!! - glad I did not send the Bybee's back.

I think we are talking a nice Single Malt perhaps one with peaty overtones ha ha.

Actually its the first time I have ever not wanted to win a "bet" hopefully you can prove me wrong in a year's time !!!!!!!!! who knows.

But your posts got me thinking about room pressurisation and I  made an interesting discovery about speaker positioning I will make a separate post later.

All the best

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: