XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 12:24:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Break in of NOS1  (Read 34760 times)
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »

Hi,
I have the NOS1 now for 9 days and so far the sound has changed quite a bit. At first it sounded a little dull but had the deepest basses I ever heard - full-bodied sound. Bowed double basses made my sternum vibrate (even in Orchestral music). This was really an exceptional bass experience. I somehow feared, that this will go away, but it did not (not until yesterday), the bass stayed and after 4 days everything started sound a bit edgy, accompanied by a more spacious sound with better imaging and staging. Very exciting sound, but also fatiguing.
From day 4 on the sound got thinner and more details keep emerging since this day. The deepness of the bass is still there, but wood and body of instruments is gone. When listening to the same recordings (the bowed double bass) I only hear the strings but not the body (I am exaggerating).
The last two days it was not much fun to listen.
I let the NOS1 on all the time and it is playing music all day long (turn down the volume of my pre).
So from Peter I know, that burn in may take 30 days+.
What are your experiences with burn in?
How do you "speed up" the burn in (I did use the Isotek Burnin Track once a day) or is better to just wait?
Is it wise to let the NOS1 on all the time?
I am running XXHighend for serious listening with Macbook air in Dual Boot mode (my PC is not up and running) and the rest of the day I am using Audirvana at 384 with my mac mini. So most of the time the NOS1 is running at 384. Does this influence burn in?
Maybe we could use this thread to share experiences about burn in. It could help new NOS1 users to know, what they will have to expect (or maybe Peter, you start a thread?)
Best Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit *SP1* on sd (Macbook Air)/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Mixed / SFS = 400 / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended /All Services Off/ *Minimize OS = On* / *Double Octo* Arc Prediction Upsampling /24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Octave HP500 SE ->ADAM Pencil (active) (all PCs Lessloss Signature, Lessloss Firewall, ICs Lessloss Anchorwave and HMS Sestetto, 3 Lessloss Blackbodies)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:01 pm »

Claudius:

This is what Peter told me about breaking in the NOS1 USB:

It is sufficient to bring up the Control Panel, which initiates streaming over USB (without sound). You can minimize it to the taskbar (crossing it away will stop streaming).

That means that while the streaming is up and running (as you can see in the bottom part of the Control Panel window) the dac is breaking in. How long would it take?, I don´t know, maybe Peter can tell about it more exactly but if you run it as much as you can around one month or something between 500 and 1000 hours is what I think should be ok.

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:02:02 pm »

Juan,
thanks
Good to know! Most of the time I have a mac mini to running with audirvana (just changed the initial post to make this clearer). For two reasons. First I still do not have a PC running (am still looking for the right one) and second with the mini my wife can use the iPad remote and listen to music.
I just checked with at the NOS1. There is a green light in the NOS1. Maybe it is enough for this light to be on? I guess, that if this light is lit while running the mini, it will also burn in.
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit *SP1* on sd (Macbook Air)/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Mixed / SFS = 400 / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended /All Services Off/ *Minimize OS = On* / *Double Octo* Arc Prediction Upsampling /24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Octave HP500 SE ->ADAM Pencil (active) (all PCs Lessloss Signature, Lessloss Firewall, ICs Lessloss Anchorwave and HMS Sestetto, 3 Lessloss Blackbodies)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »

Hi Claudius,

When you bring up the Control Panel the green light works intermittently on and off. If you minimize it still works  but if you turn the Control Panel window off (crossing it away) although the green light remains permanently on the streaming will stop.

To breaking in the dac you need to maintain the streaming on.

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »

Hi Juan,
The light has to blink? If I remember right, the light blinks with XXHighend only if music is playing?
I guess I haven't noticed the blinking light because I only see the light on my way to sit down on my listening seat.
Thanks
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:32:02 pm »

Hi Claudius,
The light blinks when the Control Panel is on, it doesn´t matter if XXHighEnd is on or off.

Juan

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:03 am »

The control panel should do for the USB part, but an entirely new NOS USB also needs its da/analog/power sections broken in. I guess it must need some signal to get "charged".

Since for some reason I don't succeed in playing ridicously long playlists, so I opted for AB-ing one track. In order to prevent me from braindamage I switched the amp off.

Claude, I concur with your findings wrt breaking in the NOS1. Everytime I take a listen it sounds different again.

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:00 am »

Yes Coen, you´re right I was thinking mostly about an upgraded NOS1. For an entirely new NOS1 USB you must break in all the other sections, so what you are doing seems correct.

Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:55 pm »

May it still be necessary : indeed the "streaming" thing is for upgrades to USB only, and a new DAC needs everything to break in.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »

I let the NOS1 on all the time and it is playing music all day long (turn down the volume of my pre).

Hey Claudius,

Just to be sure you got the message :
It is a kind of not allowed to use the NOS1 with a preamp. Of course in the end you sure can, but don't "complain" about the sound. Also, never try to judge or improve like this.

So, now you now, if you not already did !
Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 06:28:42 pm »

Peter,
OK, I know now, that I broke the "rules". ;-)
As always it might take some time for me to fully understand the meaning of what you said. (I mean to say this with utmost respect!)
So far, the NOS does not sound better without a Preamp. Or do you say, that it is beneficial for break in not to use a preamp? Or maybe is the NOS doing something to "grow in/on to the system"? (I hope you understand what I mean by this. I had this experience with my "power conditioner").
Thanks to everybody for the replies.
Coen,
how far are you in to break in of the NOS1?
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »

But you was  "braking the law" with a very nice preamp!  drinks

So far, the NOS does not sound better without a Preamp
Can you tell more specific how the preamp influences the sound or what the difference in sound signature is?
I ask beacuse I have an octave pre amp too and feel it doesn't gets much in the way, except additional noise (compared to a passive preamp). But this will be solveable with a low gain amplifier.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:09 am »

So far, the NOS does not sound better without a Preamp. Or do you say, that it is beneficial for break in not to use a preamp?

The latter ? not really.

But what you must learn from the *fact* that without preamp it doesn't sound better, is that something is wrong in your system. And, I too had the urge to ask the same as Flecko just did : how does the sound differ ?

Now watch out, because this is (about) something you possibly are not used to yet. I mean, in here, with the XXHighEnd stuff, we are used to perceiving differences over versions or settings all the same. Not minor or "maybe", but very clearly and distinguishable. That not everybody judges certain changes as better always is another thing, but it is about the explicit judgement (I'd even dare to call it "absolute"). All in other words :

To me it seems totally impossible that the only thing you say (or hear) is "it doesn't sound better". It is allowed of course, but this is not how you should operate yourself. It does not sound better for some reason. Can be anything.
But the point is :

It is not allowed to sound better with preamp, because there is nothing a preamp can improve upon, unless you need the preamp for crazy gain (which again is not allowed, but that's another story).

And this again : when without preamp SQ is better, your SQ is the worse to begin with. Just telling you ! haha

I know you are very keen on getting things right, but you must go back to basics first; I think I told you a few times. But now believe in it ! ditch the expensive cables, and ALL of the other tweaks you applied. They *are* tweaks for the wrong, but you didn't know that because they improved (filtered out the bad stuff).

Btw, I am certainly not forcing you to play without preamp, but I do like to force you into the proper judgement of everything, so you *have* to set all up without (regarding the NOS1 I mean), and from there you are allowed to do as you please.

I can't emphasize enough what even the smallest resistor in the signal path does to the NOS1, which already is so clear with measurement alone.

Anyway, if you can describe as precisely as you can what the differences are you perceive, possibly I (or others) are able to tell you what's wrong in your system elsewhere.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:41 pm »

What do I hear with my preamp, that I do not hear with the NOS connected directly?
Actually I do hear more details (I don't really care about that, I want it to sound natural). More air around the instruments. I hear the recording ambiance better. The stage is bigger in all dimensions. Without it is much flatter not as much 3d. The color of instruments is more natural (at least to my ears), this seems to be about timbre, resonance, sensing instruments.
I just made a quick A/B and the difference is striking to me. E.G. I hear how a hit hi hat decays from the walls of the recording studio which I do not hear without it.
The only downside so far is, that everything is more extended (highs and lows) and so I am still hearing the harsh highs (it seems to get better). So just maybe the pre introduces some distortion, but the details I am perceiving do not really seem to be distortion. Or this thing is about gain? I have no idea.
I hope this does elaborate enough on my saying, I find the sound with pre "better".
Peter,
of course you are (technically speaking) correct and I sure wish I could get rid of my preamp, but I have to judge by what I hear. So on with breaking the rule (Yeah!)
But I do hear your saying to kind of "starting from scratch" - and I will go that route, but not tonight ;-)
Coen,
I had the 300 in direct comparison to the 500se at home. Although Hofmann said, that the two should be very close, I gladly paid the difference. For just about the same difference in sound I described in this post. Afterwards I found out, that the 300 was not completely broken in. So maybe... (I do not want to think about THAT).
The difference is NOT night and day (just to put the "striking into perspective"), but very easily audible for me. But I am quite cool about it, I have experienced burn in more then once and I know it can make a whole lot of a difference and the sound of the NOS1 is very very good.
I won't get to listen much in this week, but hopefully on the weekend.
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:09 am »

Coen,
how far are you in to break in of the NOS1?
Claudius

Not as far as you.  The NOS has been on ever since wednesday November 30, it has been connected to the computer about 100 hours of which 75 hours of playing music.

I experienced some quite dramatic changes in SQ. Actually what you describe I recognise from the past days.

I think patience is key with such a very sensitive component. I made a few tube amps (concepts) with black gate capacitors and these really need 300+ hours break in (>12 days) to sound anywhere decent.

You probably wanted to adress Flecko in your last post... smile

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: