XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 12:16:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help with new install  (Read 21945 times)
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:04:01 pm »

[editorial: OS is Vista 32 , which reports 3.3GB of RAM]

I'm having these issues 1) and 2):

1) I was told that I can play from the network, which is where all my music files are stored.   Now, when I tell xxHE that my music folder is on the network, it gives the error that it must be a folder.  I'm not going to move my collection, does this mean that I should forget about XXHE?

(This would be dissapointing since I just bought and installed 4GB or RAM just for XXHE)

[Editorial: the following was kind of resolved by resizing all the panes.  Can be ignored]
2) I installed .9z-5-2.  It does not look right at all.   The interface is all warped.   I can't see the tabs.  In general, the interface looks nothing like what I see on this board. 

Also, I never saw the 10 screens to which I should uncheck the show this message box.

What could be causing these issues? 

Thanks

July 2019:
XXHighEnd PC (i7 3930K) Hyperthreading On (12 cores) clocked to 3.6GHz (100%), 16GB, Windows 7 Ultimate64 SP1 on 2.5” SATA2 SSD disk for OS and XX, music on 3.5” SATA3 7200 RPM.  Motherboard BIOS settings: BCLK = 100 MHz / Intel Speed Step = OFF / Max Clock Ratio = 36 / Allow OS to change ratio = *OFF*. 
XXHighEnd 2.10 Adaptive / Q1/3/4/5 = 2/0/0/1 / Q1x = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = 30 (max 150) / Playerprio = Low (or below normal) / ThreadPrio = High / Core3-5 / No Playback Drive / No RAMDISK / UnAttended / most services Off, WASAPI on  / Minimize OS / XTweaks set to v2.01 Defaults / 16x 768K Custom Filters (High) or ArcPredict
DAC: Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE NOS DAC, and no preamp (also ISO REGEN powered by battery)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:10 am »

Hi Charlie,

Re 2, I assume you don't use the fonts at 100% (this is an OS setting).
Notice that the smallest buttons on the left give you acces to presets of the form "sizes"; that may help you. But I assume it is solved for you anyway at this moment.

About the "must be a folder" message - yes, this is true, or otherwise you music can't be discerned from non-music. But it is easy to solve or try :
Make that folder "Music" or something in the root of the drive concerned. Next select all the album folders and drag them upon that new folder. Now they have been "moved" into there (within a second). You can move them back to the root if you want, later (when you feel you don't want this anyway).

Another theoretical solution is to make a Gallery, but that requires the album folders on that network drive to appear in the Library Area first. You may need to fuss around a little to get that done (per the selection of what shows in the Library Area at the bottom), and maybe you won't succeed anyway. But if that works, from then on you can use that Gallery to play from. Btw, a Gallery also needs to be a folder and furthermore it is good use to create sub-sections (folders) under it like \Music\jazz and Music\Rock etc.

I am quite sure this explanation was too brief to understand, but hopefully it will do anyway ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »

For the non-gallery method: I presume you mean to create a local folder on the root of the OS drive (there's no other drive).
I assume that because a proper folder structure already exists on the network drive where the music already resides and when I try to point to it with \\machine\sharedFolder, I get the "must be a folder" message.

But, if you really do mean to create a folder Music on the OS drive, and if I drag the two music network-shared folders there, won't that try to copy all of the music to the local OS drive from the network drive (there's not enough space and it would take two weeks to complete)?

Seems that won't work either.  wacko

July 2019:
XXHighEnd PC (i7 3930K) Hyperthreading On (12 cores) clocked to 3.6GHz (100%), 16GB, Windows 7 Ultimate64 SP1 on 2.5” SATA2 SSD disk for OS and XX, music on 3.5” SATA3 7200 RPM.  Motherboard BIOS settings: BCLK = 100 MHz / Intel Speed Step = OFF / Max Clock Ratio = 36 / Allow OS to change ratio = *OFF*. 
XXHighEnd 2.10 Adaptive / Q1/3/4/5 = 2/0/0/1 / Q1x = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = 30 (max 150) / Playerprio = Low (or below normal) / ThreadPrio = High / Core3-5 / No Playback Drive / No RAMDISK / UnAttended / most services Off, WASAPI on  / Minimize OS / XTweaks set to v2.01 Defaults / 16x 768K Custom Filters (High) or ArcPredict
DAC: Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE NOS DAC, and no preamp (also ISO REGEN powered by battery)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »

But, if you really do mean to create a folder Music on the OS drive, and if I drag the two music network-shared folders there, won't that try to copy all of the music to the local OS drive from the network drive

Okay, this one only for now (it's the most easy one if you are willing to apply it) :

No ... What you should do is create that \Music\ (etc.) folder on the Network drive, and drag the momentary Album Folders (which are in the root in your situation) on to that new folder. So, next they will be "in a folder" and all will be ok (and this doesn't copy, only "moves" the folder data within a second).

If you want to do this, it is solved.
But let me know ...

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

If you want to do this, it is solved.

I did one better; instead, I shared the folder directly above the music folder (i.e., I shared "My Documents" on the network computer).  That works in that I now have a music root that is \\machineName\My Documents\My Music\ .
Everything is blue and I no longer get warning that it must be a folder.  Looks good.   But then....

Everything seems to work: xxHE shows all the album art for albums A - H (what happend to I - Z?).  I think, "I'm there!"    NO.  I'm not.  I double click an album and xxHE loads all of the tracks.  Looks good, right?  NO.  Now I get another error that says "No tracks found to play; please check for disk full."

Now what?   fool

July 2019:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:01:27 pm »

Haha - not sure. All I know is that the Demo version allows for something like 100 results in the Library Area. So that will "bug" you for sure.

I double click an album and xxHE loads all of the tracks.  Looks good, right?  NO.  Now I get another error that says "No tracks found to play; please check for disk full."

... You really must help *me* with finding out what could be going on here. I mean, I don't see a reason for this to happen. So, can you please compare with other situations and try to narrow this down to what's really happening ?

Thanks Happy
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:52 am »

How about this:  Is there some kind of watch dog timer for how long it takes to load a file, or to get an open handle?   This is one suspicion I have.  If loading off the network all the way to memory, the whole song, it will take some 20 or 30 seconds perhaps?  (I don't know since JRiver plays immediately, even if I enable play from memory from within JR.)

July 2019:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:54 am »

Haha, I think you forget a couple of things to tell. I mean, this little problem wasn't mentioned by you before, so why suddenly now ? Is it because you now load the album via the Library Area ? IOW :

At first you could play, probably by means of dragging tracks or folders into the Playlist Area, right ? So, doing this via the Library Area *shouldn't* make a difference. If it does, you must help me with the how (because I say it does not Happy). Btw, your double-clicking the coverart is an official way to get an album in the Playlist Area, but at least I never do that. I always use the "down arrow" button (opposite of Eject). Maybe there's a difference.

But also :
The message you mention comes forth from the "result" track not being found. So, think about FLAC conversion, and now the WAV file can't be found. I cannot imagine how this happens in your case, but it sure can be related to where XXHighEnd resides and what your "playback drive" is. For example, when you have put XXHighEnd on that same network drive, you almost 100% sure can expect problems because all will be too slow. Thus, XXHighEnd must be on the OS disc, or another internal (faster) disc.
To take out some fuzzyness for you and for now : activate "Copy to XX Drive" in the settings. In that case you can be sure that the tracks will always be copied to the drive XXHighEnd is installed, and played from there. This also makes it more easy for me to interpret what is going on.
But remember, I say there won't be a difference with working from the Library Area compared to dragging in tracks. So it must be something else what bugs you.

Peter

PS: JR starts to play immediately because it is no real memory player. For this example (plays right away) it "violates" memory playback because it is still reading from disc at first (when it's done it's done). In XXHighEnd this can be compared a little with the "Start Playback during Conversion" possibilily, but now at the Playlist (or say Album) level. So, a complete track is converted first all right, but now playback starts when the second (and all) still need to be converted (which now thus happens during playback). This is not exactly the idea for the best sound.
A real memory player really takes some more ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

Haha, I think you forget a couple of things to tell. I mean, this little problem wasn't mentioned by you before, so why suddenly now ?

Because I could not imagine anything else.
The other possibility I can imagine is the the network drive is read only.
Will read only-cause this?

Is it because you now load the album via the Library Area ? IOW :

No, I usually have always loaded from the Library Area by doubleclicking the folder.  The other way is by using the explorer button for single tracks w/no coverArt.

At first you could play, probably by means of dragging tracks or folders into the Playlist Area, right ?

As above (no). 
Let's be clear, I've never been able to play from the network, not once has this worked.
The only thing that has worked so far has been for files that I've pre-copied to the OS drive.

So, doing this via the Library Area *shouldn't* make a difference. If it does, you must help me with the how (because I say it does not Happy). Btw, your double-clicking the coverart is an official way to get an album in the Playlist Area, but at least I never do that. I always use the "down arrow" button (opposite of Eject). Maybe there's a difference.

I agree, it does not make a difference.
I'll try the down arrow and report if that makes any difference.

But also :
The message you mention comes forth from the "result" track not being found. So, think about FLAC conversion, and now the WAV file can't be found. I cannot imagine how this happens in your case, but it sure can be related to where XXHighEnd resides and what your "playback drive" is.

I have no wave files.  I only have .aif and .flac and .dsf.
Maybe this is the problem?  Are you converting aif to wav?   (both are PCM)

..."Copy to XX Drive" ...

Thanks, I'll try that.

July 2019:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:33:29 pm »

Will read only-cause this?

Yes, if only "something" directs the result files (always WAV) to the network drive/share. This can also be a filled-in Temporary Files folder (in Settings). And as said, when XXHighEnd is on the network drive.

But let's work this out, because it just should work (maybe not when the network is read only) and it is made for it.
But go on with Copy to XX Drive first. Maybe that tells us something.

Regards,
Peter

PS: If you can't get it done, switch on Logging (bottom of Settings) and post (as attachment) the newest XX log file after an attempt. Maybe I can see something in there (Quit XX, start XX, start Playback, grab log file in TemporaryData under your XX folder).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:20:27 am »

Good morning Peter

Copy to XX Drive first did NOT work.

PS: If you can't get it done, switch on Logging (bottom of Settings) and post (as attachment) the newest XX log file after an attempt. Maybe I can see something in there (Quit XX, start XX, start Playback, grab log file in TemporaryData under your XX folder).

Attached are the two log files.

Otherwise, 6-1c solved the other problem.  And....

I can't believe what I'm hearing!!!!

Maybe I can elaborate more tomorrow, but this player is "in your face!"

There is a dramatic difference.  And this is not supposed to be with the W4S DAC2 (as with your Phasure NOS).  But there is.

naughty

* test01.log (0.03 KB - downloaded 401 times.)
* test02.log (0.02 KB - downloaded 397 times.)

July 2019:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:13 am »

Haha

There is a dramatic difference.  And this is not supposed to be with the W4S DAC2 (as with your Phasure NOS).  But there is.

Why not ? XXHighEnd was not created for the NOS1 ?
But very nice you are getting somewhere on the SQ department !
Now don't get tempted to use Minimize OS, because that's where it all really happens. swoon
Oh ... I forgot - demo mode. Ok ok. Anyway, all you need to do to be secure is make that Restore Point. But read this : Minimized OS and Restore Points W7 and take care that you have a "persistent" Restore Point. So with that nothing can happen.

On your log files ... thanks, but these are not the ones (is not the one) I was looking for. They are named XX-20120507etc. and are in the TemporaryData sub folder under your XX folder (but switch on logging) and will contain a lot of data.

I just got a hunch on the network thing ...
I can imagine that the part which converts AIFF to WAV can't read from the Network Share (a Drive Letter should be OK). So, if you have a WAV laying around somewhere, put that on the network drive and try whether that goes.
(I am currently not at a location to try it myself).

Peter

PS: It *is* true that you don't have a drive letter assigned to that network drive, right ? If not indeed, I think you can always do that and it may (nah, should) solve the problem.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »

On your log files ... thanks, but these are not the ones (is not the one) I was looking for. They are named XX-20120507etc. and are in the TemporaryData sub folder under your XX folder (but switch on logging) and will contain a lot of data.

Sorry, I forgot to turn on logging.   So when I went looking for that folder, it was not there, so I grabbed what looked like a log files.
Otherwise, I'll try the wav file tonight.

PS: It *is* true that you don't have a drive letter assigned to that network drive, right ? If not indeed, I think you can always do that and it may (nah, should) solve the problem.

Correct, I have no drive letter assigned yet.   Can try tonight.

BTW, can you confirm that I do this on the audio playback computer?  (i.e., go through the operation of creating a drive letter on the audio PC, not the network PC)

Now just a few comments on the sound as this is a bit off topic in this thead.   You asked:

Why not ? XXHighEnd was not created for the NOS1 ?

Why?  Because I am using peak extend and arc prediction, which are intended for the NOS1 or so I understand.

But here is the key point for all you W4S DAC2 users:  I set the Rolloff setting in the DAC2 to "Slow".   Normally, the DAC2 has a brick wall filter labelled "Fast."   But when I've tried "Slow" in the past, it had too much detail, too much air, and it simply was tiring to listen to.   In the past, it sounds better with the default "Fast" setting.

Now with XXHE, I tried "Slow" again because that is closer to a NOS1 (which has no filter at all).   With the "Slow" setting, I'm relying on peak extend and arc prediction to do that filtering, and apparently, that's what makes the big difference I'm now hearing.

What I'm hearing:

Instruments and vocals are more present or direct.  They are much closer to you and more distinct.  The analogy in photography, if I may, is like sharpening.  I almost want to say XXHE is cheating somehow.  Maybe peak extend and arc prediction can be seen like this, but NO, because if it were any kind of "sharpening" there would be more audible distortion,  but there is not.  In fact there is less.  It is also smoother at the same time, somehow.  At one point of listening last night, the tamborine player stepped out in front of the speakers and was only a few feet in front of me (the illustion of that).

The soundstage and image was clearer too.

The trade-off?   ..there always is one:  While everything got closer to me, so did the instruments in the far back of the soundstage.  What will seem like say 20feet back normally, now XXHE will render those instruments closer, like 10 feet back.  So while the soundstage and image is clearer and more forward, the depth has collapsed in my system.   (not sure I like that)

I also have a concern about whether or not such a direct sound will fatigue my ear (mine not yours).  With JRiver, I've gone 4 or 5 hours a day of listening for three weeks straight at 85db with peaks to 90db and NO ear fatigue. 

And finally for Peter or those technically inclinded:  The ESS ES9018 chip in the W4S DAC2 utilizes a frequency locked loop (FLL) based on it's own ultra low phase-noise oscillator.   That is, there is no phase locked loop (PLL) and therefore no attempt at phase lock to the input which in itself would create its own jitter.  Jitter on the input reaches a dead end: it has no influence on output jitter.  The frequency lock is based on crystals on both ends, and therefore has very little drift.  Drift would have an effect on audio because the FLL dividers would have to adjust.  But otherwise, once the dividers in the feedback loop are set and the FLL is locked, that's the end of the jitter story.  This is all in that patent I sent you in an eMail weeks ago, the ESS patent for the Sabre.

So who knows what accounts for the dramatic sound difference.   To quote someone's sig, can't remember who, "in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

July 2019:
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:13:11 am »

Okay - Log files attached.

What did not work:
-Drive letter mapping of network read-only drive

What worked!:
-Wave files   ...yes, wave files pulled directly from read-only drive over the network worked.

* X3-20120508-221533.log (0.47 KB - downloaded 389 times.)
* XX-20120508-221003.log (0.74 KB - downloaded 400 times.)
* XX-20120508-221512.log (6.64 KB - downloaded 372 times.)

July 2019:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:03 am »

Correct, I have no drive letter assigned yet.   Can try tonight.

BTW, can you confirm that I do this on the audio playback computer?

Correct.

What did not work:
-Drive letter mapping of network read-only drive

Do you mean assigning the drive letter or do you mean you did that but it didn't help ?

But also, you now are very persistent in that the network drive is read only (I thought that earlier you just wondered). So, it is read only;
Well, for starters this will cause "a sort of" problems in the end, because harmless analysis data is stored in the original locations of the album (n.b.: "Original Location" is the denotation for its opponent : meta data, which you will see in Galleries (once you made them)). I am not sure whether this causes the problem, and it doesn't seem so because the WAVs just play. In the end it will cause you not to be able to play with Normalized Volume, but you also can't make Galleries. There is no way around this I'm afraid.

That aside, the log file only tells me that indeed no output file is there (from AIFF), not why.
Can you do me a favor please, and check whether FLAC also doesn't work ? (as I said/implied earlier, it could be the AIFF conversion from a network share). So, I can't imagine that FLAC doesn't work (because I use that myself over a share regularly), and so *if* it doesn't work, it has to be the read only phenomenon (and I can't test that !).

Ahead of things the soft question : you are not allowing yourself writing to the drive ? (I can imagine good reasons of course !).

On the forward playback ... just take your time in exploring the further settings, and KNOW (please) that Vista is a bad part in your chain. You will be the most surprised once you have W7/SP1 running (64 bits please). And for fun you can try W7 without SP1 because at some stage you will be having that obviously. That is the *worse* ...

Okay, a few steps further again, and I may think about this read only drive, but supposed I can do something about it, no way that will be soon (it will be quite some work).
But let me know about FLAC please.

Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: