XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 18, 2024, 08:08:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The SQ of XXHighEnd Unregistered  (Read 9210 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:35:04 am »

On another topic.... you recently found that XX sounds better once it is Registered.
Do you have a work around for this yet?

Brent, indeed another topic. So I created one for you ...  Wink

I never thought about it until your question ... but running XX UnAttened would take distance from that unintentional phenomenon (and I think UnAttended was brought later than when we found out about the difference in SQ). UnAttended is just possible in demo mode.

My humble suggestion is that you make XX free and charge extra for features that have no affect on sound quality.

Personally I don't think it can work like that. XXHighEnd was created for the sound quality, and any additional features would be kind of stupid to pay for, because *those* are just rather normal features you see all over the place. Also, because those features (mainly the Library Functions) can be near equal, worse or just super bad related to the other players, I won't get myself into "complaints" about that, while actually it was not, is not, and never will be about that. It's just a necessary thing. So a twist as proposed will suggest wrongly IMO.

People might think that "features" like MP3 support is something that doesn't belong in a high end player, and that *that* actually is an example of what people might want to pay for as an additional feature. Well, once you fell in love with XXHighEnd for SQ in the first place I don't think MP3 playback will get any better for SQ in any other player. The SQ of MP3 with a bitrate of 256 and higher is already better than what I perceive from any "normal" USD 100,000+ system playing full quality CDs from a CDP.
Actually with 0.9u this is so outrageously much better again, that maybe a time will come that many with their so called cr*ppy MP3 pile of music will end up with XX. Those who don't care or like the 3D pictures stay with iTunes.

Of course I don't need to respond so extensively to your question and well meant suggestion Brent, but with the above I want to make clear that my heart is in the sound quality and that stupids like me even work big time on the best SQ of MP3. Do I do this to satisfy some teenagers (who are well over 30 now Grin) ? no. I do this because MP3 isn't inheritently worse. It's the stuff around it (like playback) that s*cks. Try it.
And on another note : CD singles just died, and are brought to you for free now in MP3 format.

Concluded, it is sound quality what I hunt for (including "2 times better each other few months" yes) and it is that what one pays for.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
brentw
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:01 am »

Hi Peter,

Sorry but I don't know all the terms/lingo you use in regard to your XX program yet. That leave me and probably a few others confused as to the Sound Quality of the unregistered version.

Let me rephrase the question.  What are your plans for futures versions? Is the SQ of the Demo mode going to be the same as when Registered? And if so in what version?
If this is technical challenge then maybe you can make a Registraion Key that only works for 1 minute at a time or something like that. That way we can all be Registered when doing a demo.

I am hot to try it and see for myself, but not ready to pay money. Which is probaby the same as 90% of the people who want to try it.

Windows7 64bit / XX.9z-6-1 Engine4 *Special* Buffer=32 Q0 / USB / DIY TDA1543 NOS 16bit DAC
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:22:57 am »

Hi Peter,

Sorry but I don't know all the terms/lingo you use in regard to your XX program yet. That leave me and probably a few others confused as to the Sound Quality of the unregistered version.

Let me rephrase the question.  What are your plans for futures versions? Is the SQ of the Demo mode going to be the same as when Registered? And if so in what version?
If this is technical challenge then maybe you can make a Registraion Key that only works for 1 minute at a time or something like that. That way we can all be Registered when doing a demo.

I am hot to try it and see for myself, but not ready to pay money. Which is probaby the same as 90% of the people who want to try it.

Hello Brent,

A part i can answer also.... Peter meant that when you play Unattended the SQ is the same like the one we  have... When you open up XX and look at the bottom/right (Playlist area)  you see Unattended... Just check that and you will have the "best" way to test it. And the SQ is the same way we have and it is the best SQ XX has...

This could be helpfull too..

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=279.0

Grtz

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
brentw
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:29:25 am »

Thanks for the clarity Gerard.

Now I just have to wait for version 0.9u to surface so I can try it in Windows2008 Server Happy

Windows7 64bit / XX.9z-6-1 Engine4 *Special* Buffer=32 Q0 / USB / DIY TDA1543 NOS 16bit DAC
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47:04 am »

Apart from that your "SQ problem" is out of the way by now, this just wouldn't change anything. Of course you are not long enough around here to just "know" that everything in software matters, but indeed it would be so that your suggested solution would influence sound for the worse. Not that I "stated" from the beginning this would be so ... the contrary; all is too way out to believe. But if you'd look back in the forum posts ... each time I said that I didn't change anything explicitly for SQ, people fell all over me with the message this was so anyway. Now *knowing* it, it is just true. Whether you -at this moment- can hear it is another thing, but you can sure learn to hear it.

Computers ...  Happy

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: