XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 01:14:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Improving PC PSU and Reducing PC EMI/RFI Improve SQ?  (Read 197521 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

No, I don't say that. I just don't understand what it is for !
And you don't either I think. Hahaha

But you can always buy one. They will selll it for a reason. swoon

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »

I know what's the original purpose of this adapter, but it would be the easiest way for me to deliver clear power from a linear PSU to my sound card through it.
wushuliu
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 09:26:38 am »

I know power conditioning can be a touchy subject for some but since we all are after the same goal of the best sound we can achieve (particularly w/ noisy components like PCs), here are some of my tweaks that I use with all my audio components, learned from other forums over the years. grazy

1. DIY power conditioner w/ Hammond Choke

This is a very simple DIY that is extremely effective.  All you need is a Hammond 193L or 193M choke, some wire, and a male IEC.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/193.htm
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LEVITON-MANUFACTURING-835-515PR-/64-020
     (or equivalent for your country)

The choke has two wires. Simply insert one wire into the Line/Hot of the plug, and the other into the Neutral. Plug into wall closest to your setup. That's it! Doesn't matter which wire you use. If the length is too short simply extend it with more wire (preferably soldered).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=40168

It doesn't look sexy, but it's a) cheap and b) better than spending $700 on the commercial equivalent:

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc010500.shtml

This is just two of many threads, most of which are on Audio Asylum:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10310.20.
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tweaks&m=145262

If you doubt what it will do for your a/c and sound, plug it in next to your TV. After a day I guarantee you will not want to take it out. holiday
Anyway, I just wanted to mention it because with computers noise is such a big problem and this simple DIY is a relatively cheap way to make a big impact on your music...

2. For those people using a desktop/tower PC for music I recommend upgrading your power cord. I have just recently switched my stock cord with this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14SE

It lowered the noise floor of my PC and improved audio quality. They also have a cheaper version, but I can't vouch for that. I think the improvement is due to a combination of improved shielding and larger gauge wire. Larger gauge power cords (of the same design) usually sound better regardless of application.

The DIY choke however is several magnitudes better in terms of improvement.

hope this was of some help

w

Custom PC w/ 560 AM3/8GB/30GB SSD/Win7x64/Antec Earthwatt;Dacport LX; SimpleSE Tube Amp; Mark Audio Alpair or EL70 Fullrange w/ 8" Usher
peranders
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2010, 08:04:07 am »

Here's an interesting article relevant to this thread I just came across:

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3467

Here is a link to the custom power supply referenced in this article:

http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/hifi-projects/36-hifi-projects/97-jsr03-sjoestroem-super-regulator
Thought I mention that I have improved the regulator. I kind person in New York has done some measurements. 921 nanovolt noise!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/20937-super-regulator-collecting-facts-15.html#post2132153
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/20937-super-regulator-collecting-facts-14.html#post1824991
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/20937-super-regulator-collecting-facts-14.html#post1986153

Check the green and cyan curve.

* Invisus_Sjo_Jung.gif (19.42 KB, 664x442 - viewed 3381 times.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:48:29 pm by peranders » Logged
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15:33 am »

I made a post some time ago to the thread and said I would post some pictures of my modified M-Audio Transit. Its taken some time but here we go in case they are of interest.

Transit circuit, with super clock 4 modified to 6Mhz, two invius regulated supplies (3.3v and 5V), 4 Q-Power supplies (5v) and Black Gate decoupling caps throughout. I have picked up the SPDIF output and converted from optical to electrical output.

Its a real birds nest of wiring  whistle but musicaly rather good to listen to.

Close up of top side of Transit

Rear of transit showing positions of Black Gate decoupling caps

I am now using a HiFace which is similar in performance to the modified Transit (it seems that USB chips and implemtations have moved on a lot since the Transit was designed). If it were not for Peters NOS DAC I would be working on the HiFace (I think has great potential) but dosen't seem worth it if the Pasure NOS DAC might be availabe soon.

Nick

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »

Nick, thanks for posting the photos. Unfortunately I got rid of my Transit card, instead I use PCI sound card - Cantatis Overture. I've been thinking about psu mod, but I'm not sure if it'd be cost-effective.
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:51 am »

Nick, are you still using Startech PCI USB controller for hiface or like your sig says, motherboard's controller? Did you compare those two? (disabling onboard controller when using PCI card)

I'd really appreciate if you made a comparison for me. Do you have similar experiences with FireWire controllers? Are those worth attention? I'm asking, because I'm about to build ultimate music server for my friend - based on OrigenAE case and the best components only. If the FireWire in his dCS Elgar Plus won't be good enough, then we'll go with RME HSDP AES-32 or HSDPe AES-32 (if it's better).
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:30 am »

If the FireWire in his dCS Elgar Plus won't be good enough, then we'll go with RME HSDP AES-32 or HSDPe AES-32 (if it's better).

Marcin,

I'm pretty certain you can't use the Elgar's firewire input to connect it to a PC. The firewire input is designed to connect the Elgar to other dCS units (like their CD/SACD transports and upsampling units). They used firewire to allow for the high data rates required by SACD.

Of course, the newer dCS units can be connected directly to a PC, but via async USB, and not firewire.

If your friend is interested in using the Elgar's dual-wire AES inputs, then he has three options (there may be more):
1. the RME AES-32 (PCI or PCIe)
2. the Lynx AES16 (PCI or PCIe)
3. one of the Weiss units: AFI1 (with w/c IO) or INT202 (without w/c IO)

HTH,
Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
gonzalito
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2011, 03:42:14 am »

Recently, I did some experimentation with reducing EMI/RFI inside my Zalman PC.  Basically I took some ERS cloth (known for its EMI/RFI absorptive qualities), put it in a plastic bag (its conductive material!) and carefully encased my Lynx AES16 card.  The improvement was immediate.  Noise was reduced and SQ improved, specifically, richer tonality and increased micro/macro detail.  Has anyone else experimented in this area?   I've also put some ERS on my Zalman PSU with good results.  Next, I'm going to try putting some ERS on the IC chips on the Lynx.  The ERS is OK with high temp applications and the Lynx card doesn't run hot anyway.

earflappin,

Could you please post some pics of your "experiment" of encasing the sound card with ERS cloth and the plastic bag? I was wondering about doing the same with my Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Xtreme...

Thanks in advance,

Regards!

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Xtreme > SSV Audio PURE Interconnects > Topping TP20 > BlueJeans 5T00UP cables > Accorde Mentor speakers
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:29 am »

Gonzalito,

Unfortunately I am unable to post any pictures as I have since sold my Zalman TNN-300 silent PC music server with the AES16 PCI card in which I had encased the AES16 with ERS cloth.  What I can tell you is that I felt I heard some improvement, although I did not conduct a double blind test.  The only thing I would caution is that the ERS cloth is conductive and you do not want to let it make direct contact with the PCI for risk of shorting out the board.  That is why I used a plastic bag to encase the ERS cloth.  The AES16 board does not run hot so there is little, if any, risk of melting the bag.  Bottom line, all I can say is give it a try and let your ears be the judge.

Best

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:28 pm »

Hi Gonzalito,

I use ERS cloths to encase the Lynx AES 16 too. Earflappin is right that the cloth is conductive. But instead of using plastic bag to shield the cloth to pcb, I use clear plastic sheets that you may recycle from candy or chocolate boxes. You can use this plastic sheet to custom made a "shield box" for the Lynx card and then attach ERS cloth to all side of the shield box using double side tape.

regards,
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
gonzalito
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

Thanks both of you, earflappin and Praphan, for your answers.

Praphan,

Was the improvement very noticeable?

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Xtreme > SSV Audio PURE Interconnects > Topping TP20 > BlueJeans 5T00UP cables > Accorde Mentor speakers
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2011, 05:07:14 pm »

To be honest, not a "wow" improvement. But worth a try. You will have a slightly darker abckground.

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
peranders
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »

A big (super) regulator test can be found in Linear Audio's volume 4.

http://linearaudio.nl

http://www.linearaudio.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=85&Itemid=115
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: