XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 10:24:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of Nicks Tweeks  (Read 66310 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:58 am »

I would still bet some beers ...... I am happy to lose the bet

.... Happy to lose beers? does not compute!!!

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:19:43 am »

Ok, about the USB3 only for now ...

As you will know Nick, all these "power" related tweaks or changes, influence largely. And people, we are talking about the mere micro level of changing things. Like another type of capacitor, its size, the number of them. Say, how something like the NOS1 evolved - but now in aftermath. Now :

*If* we are able to memorize the characteristics of applications, so each become elements in that big whole we call our audio chain, then it should become possible to recognize what is going on.
Nicely put eh ? and a truth as the truth (looking for some nice english expression here).
Anyway, I am sort of reasonably capable of that, if only tweaks go one at the time and the base looked (very) good to begin with. Ok ...

Nick, you will know about my (offline) remarks at working on the battery powered NOS1, while you were working from that other angle, and sawing out all voltage regulators you could find. On of the things which could happen at both ends was the lack of highs. Pure blanketed. Particularly wrong sound ? no. Distorted ? the last we'd say about it.

The foremost importance of judging the blanketed sound wrong after all is the sheer lack of distortion without that blanket. So, fairly easy conclusion : that blanket is a blanket indeed, and is not something like taking out distortion - which could be perceived as overly fresh, hence wrong. But mind you, for me this blanket was nothing much different than a well respected Aplha DAC.
In any event, that blanket had to be removed once there, and obviously we removed our tweak, whichever it was at that time.
On my side I could easily see how USB noise would create the exact same characteristic.
So, noise. (totally inaudible, but easily measurable).

USB3 does the same. Well, sort of, and that is the problem. Still, it would be my guess that noise is creating the "USB3 sound", just because what happens is similar.

This is one step in my thinking. It's a wild guess. Ok, next :

Remember how I yesterday talked about how my Nobel winning 0.9z-7 tweak takes out distortion ?
Well, read back on how I started out with that. It was just a couple of weeks before USB3. I couldn't judge it as right on the long term. But now, only reasoning afterwards, what may have happened ?

Today it is 100% clear that this tweak hugely takes out a sort of distortion I won't tell about. It was made for it and from theory, and that all worked out. But, what actually happens ? the sound is again more accurate. Ehm, sound ?
This is the problem, because generally speaking no such thing as "sound is right" exists in digital. It is just too much wrong all over, and we should only be happy we can perceive it as music. Now, with my tweak the accuracy of the being off has to be emphasized. I mean, it can't go otherwise. This should happen in the higher frequencies, like above 5KHz. So, digital is quite wrong, and in the higher frequencies this (mathematically) shows more than in the lower.
All what is noise or general distortion as another layer, will smoothen that out. My tweak smoothens less.

How is it possible that with USB3 all suddenly fell in place ?
I really can think of one thing only : noise again. Should be fairly white, because I can't see it as a frequency.
The character of it (remember ?) is similar to that other USB noise. So, for me all still fits.

Here I must stop for this reasoning (without real conclusion because it can't have one (yet)).
But I didn't say I was finished. swoon

When, in general, noise influences sound for the worse, there will be a clear pattern (visible). Frequencies. Now, all noise will carry a pattern, because it is generated from somewhere. It has an oscillating source. Always. Here too, it is inportant to see the relative difference it makes, because most often that pattern won't show itself because it is burries in that other many sources of noise. Have very many of them, and you will say "oh, that is white noise". Just because all the patterns mix, and the timespan to look over it is too short to see the long term pattern. And a small secret for you all is : the NOS1 has a pattern of over 60 seconds. Ehm, for all of you but 2, including myself 3.

So, imagine that one source pattern and say it is at -130dB. Not inaudibe, because it will be in your music, riding on any wave. It will be a "sharp" thing because it is one pattern only. It will easily show its frequencies in an FFT. It will be baaad.
How to solve it ? add more patterns. Not 100% white (might that exist) because it will only higher the level of it. But so many more that it randomizes whatever there was at first.

Now we sneak back to what USB3 could be doing ...
It seems clear to me (but I didn't sort out a single thing on it) that the higher rate USB3 is capable of, will have a higher frequency oscillating thing somewhere, if not a real oscillator (Nick, what's on that PCIe card ?). This will at least create a higher frequency pattern. It will randomize whatever there was in a fairly nice way.

How to solve it ? add more patterns.

Oh yea ? of course not. The base pattern should be removed. But it is exactly *this* we can not do. We only can theorize what could be creating them, and try to move that out (like voltage regulators). A normal human being can't do that, and maybe technically it is not possible. On this matter, NOS1 users may try to look at their gain stage in there, and see how empty the PCB has become since the first ("Juil@") version. A lot of work, but all focused on exactly this subject.

But *if* we would be able to remove that base pattern left, what next would happen is that now the USB3 pattern gets profound. So, that by itself is not not randomized anymore by the patterns we just took out.

So, hands up for those who want to go back to USB2 ? not mine, not yet. But you can wait for the day I do. Or someone else.

So you see ? I at least have a common sense explanation why USB3 now sounds better. Not that one needs to agree, but it is one. Assumed I am correct :

Do we accept this as better indeed ?
Well, it sounds better, so why not.

Do we have opportunities to improve from the proper angle ?
Maybe. But what comes first is that my assumption has to be correct. It may take years to find that out. But then still the answer is "maybe". So what to do it for ? If it sounds good it sounds good.

But now one which you all may not be familiar with :
If you really go far with this and have spades of experience, you may have another expression for what you hear, and it may go like this : "Wow, this sounds good man ! ok, I am not sure whether it is right, but it sounds good for sure".
Hey Nick, there you go ! With something like this, you can bet it is NOT right, but sounds good / better net. All you will know (should know !!) is that something is still wrong.
But also to remember (for others) : when we talk about "right" we are ridiculously close to reality - and in dangerous fashion. I mean, from there on nothing much has to happen or you will be totally annoyed.

The all over motto again :
By now we all have USB3 (at least the NOS1 owners I see on this forum seem to). Then there's Windows 8 to name something. Now, if at least one person would have the guts to try USB2 with that, all will be fine. But mind you, still assumed I am right on how USB3 can sound better, it can easily be so that no different hardware is doing it. It can just be the OS and how it deals with the higher frequency (of transport) needed, and that new OS can just make the difference. Or a Service Pack. Or an upgrade (we all of course shut off to begin with).

Ok, done. And then to think this is just the USB3 example.
But hopefully this great group gets the hunch of how we should think and look at things, or otherwise tell me how to avoid it. Yeah, that latter would be best ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »

This is the problem, because generally speaking no such thing as "sound is right" exists in digital. It is just too much wrong all over, and we should only be happy we can perceive it as music.

WOW! Hey, I understand this from a 'computer audio' perspective, but from a general 'digital audio' perspective this is quite a statement.

With your Nobel-winning tweak you seem to suggest that the problem with digital audio sits purely on the replay side and not on the recording side. I can't undersand why the ADC process would be any easier than the DAC process, unless the filtering required during ADC (at 16/44.1 at least) is trivial compared to the filtering required during DAC.

In any event it kind of reminds me of something that Tim de Paravicini said about tape. Something along the lines of: it's easy to record onto tape but very difficult to extract the maximum information off tape on replay.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:02 pm »

Hi there Mani,

I am not sure where you got it from that it's only the playback side of things ? Maybe it is, but it wasn't really in my mind. And btw, I also didn't claim that analogue is ("thus") better. Maybe it is, although I don't think so; it is just very different - and that too wasn't in my mind at all.
It is also not really te subject I think, but, I can easily use it as an example to -at least for myself- prove how bad things are. So for example, what sure was in my mind earlier today, is the minuscule "distortions" (but noise) I was talking about here, while at the "higher level" things are so much more devistating to begin with. In digital I mean. But compare with analogue for fun, and reflect it onto my before post. Spades of very audible noise, so how would underlaying digital "compete" with that ? this time that digital devistating signal would be completely overwhelmed by noise, and the whole problem would not be there. Very technically speaking of course, but in the very same realm too. No sparkle (like from the NOS1) but very nice sound indeed (though noisy).

And so one more note on that "being right" or not ... we tend to go too far by now. We eliminate the one noise to run into the other more profound (despite it's lower level) and next can't rid of that. Solution ? add noise. Yep, that's what I said - following by the stupidity of such a solution.
But true at this moment.

Hey, my view !

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »

If you really go far with this and have spades of experience, you may have another expression for what you hear, and it may go like this : "Wow, this sounds good man ! ok, I am not sure whether it is right, but it sounds good for sure".
Hey Nick, there you go ! With something like this, you can bet it is NOT right, but sounds good / better net. All you will know (should know !!) is that something is still wrong.

Peter,

So put another way the initial report is: wow it sounds much better than my system without it. But it is straight out of the box I know it can sound better because I know that power and ground scheme is not correctly implemted so yes I can hear
"I am not sure whether it is right, but it sounds good for sure"
and I know it needs some work but still it knocks the socks off the starting point without it. A week later much, much better, proving a usefull diagnostic to get information on other tweeks and I can now see where I'm going with it. I don't know if it will be "really" good or put another way how flawed it will be in the end but I doubt that it will leave my system.

The problem we have is no common reference to discuss it's effect on sound at the moment, so I could be describing "perfect" or I might be describing "filtered" into oblivion. My point is that without hearing this, comments are conjecture. If it helps to know there may be potential because I say its good then fine.

Regards USB 3

I agree the card runs at different frequencies to usb 2, your comments on noise spectrum are very interesting and I am sure relevant. There are additional large differences however in implementation that you may have taken into account but don't mention:

The USB 3 cards we are using are PCIe bus (500mb/s) vs USB 2 on PCI bus at (133mb/sec) with different interupt signalling, possible bus device contention for USB 2 on PCI  and an additional PCIe to PCI bridge in the signal path for USB 2. USB 3 cards are designed ground up to handel much higher data throughputs with all that this implies for reliability of input and output signalling. Clocks circuits are also generally much better implemented on USB 3 cards.  I know from experiment that PCI bus latency can modify sound charateristics so there is evidance that bus carateristics have an impact. These are significant points of difference between USB 2 and USB 3 and may also be contributing to the sound. These were the reasons I decided to try it out. There is no technical religion here however if USB 2 sounds "better" tommorow then I'll use it in a blink.

Regards,

Nick.

EDIT messed-up quote markups

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:23 am »

I want to add one more thing :

Two times in a row (my larger posts in this topic) I made the mistake of proposing contentual subjects, while I actually wanted to share along which lines I think at developing (hardware and software). Now you know this you can see that hopefully, because I always left it at half examples. But I sure didn't make that clear enough.

So, nothing about proving points, wanting to know more or anything, but just to make clear how I think.
This can be of importance because, as I say so many other times, together we know more than one (me). So what I am actually hoping for is that when people think along these same lines, from there new things may spring; ideas may pop up.

What also has not been made clear yet, is that Nick is rather explicitly working on a better setup of all, for you out there. So what you will see in beteen the lines, might you read back on things, is that here and there my "hints" along those lines of my thinking go in his direction. It may seem strange, but with less words these things are / have been talked through offline just the same, but what evolves from this little topic is sharing it with you at the same time. This went unnoticed, but things may look strange.

"I am not sure whether it is right, but it sounds good for sure".
Hey Nick, there you go !

This is such an example, and it was nothing new to Nick.
I can explain another one :

The problem we have is no common reference to discuss it's effect on sound at the moment, so I could be describing "perfect" or I might be describing "filtered" into oblivion. My point is that without hearing this, comments are conjecture. If it helps to know there may be potential because I say its good then fine.

So to set all straight, what Nick is doing, I am working on just as well, but, my means are somewhat different. And like it happened earlier, Nick just starts this, to next find out I am working on it too, and next thing is that we work it out together. But similar to a previous time : by different means. So, exact same objective, but different means *and* results will be different. Net result ? a product for you all (NOS1 users and beyond !). Btw, Nick has a headstart because he has his running by now, while I have been fighting with stubborn manufacturers across the ocean, with the hope that my little idea will be shipped today. This is why I emphasized "at the moment" in Nick's text above.

I hope this clears up things a bit, and that my posts are not read as "don't do this, don't do that Nick !". The contrary ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 01:47:12 pm »

So I've been on the road most of this week. Driving home yesterday it occurred to me that the substantial difference in sound that I heard between a track ripped directly to the OS drive and one ripped to an internal storage drive might have had other influences: the track on the internal storage drive was ripped a year or so ago with the optical drive in my cheap Dell, and the same track on the OS drive was ripped with my new Plextor PX-L890SA (thanks Juan). When I got home I reripped the track with the Plextor onto the storage drive. Damn, even with the storage drive plugged in, I'm having a very hard time discerning any difference between the track played from the OS drive and a track played from the internal storage drive.

One thing is for sure, the optical drive used to rip your tunes makes a big difference. As for Nick's tweeks, still sorting through 'em.  Happy

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:28 am »

Wrt to Nicks tweak #3, I immediately associated that one with a recent post on DIY audio. I added my take on building a semi linear supply as reply.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/100095-linear-pc-power-supply-5.html#post3088871

This #3 tweak makes sense.

Regards,Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:21 am »

Summary of [Nick's] tweeks.

1)   Eliminate ALL fans (CPU fan case fans etc)

This was the tweak I really wasn't looking forward to, but I finally got around to taking all the fans out of Le Monster and installing the water cooler I've had sat around for the last 3-4 months. And I believe this has improved the sound. It seems smoother now, and less edgy. I know these sort of things are very subjective, but I'm pretty certain the bass is more prominent, which is very welcomed with Phase Alignment.

Why might the sound have changed? Well, there were 8 fans in total that I've just taken out. Although they ran at a pretty low rpm (and very quietly), they were all being monitored and powered from the mobo. Perhaps this was generating noise? I don't know, but I'm pretty certain the sound has changed for the better.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 10:27:28 pm »

Hey Mani,

8 fans wow ! I'm pleased (relieved  Wink ) it worked for you as well. I agree with your description of the change to sound, very similar here too. With sound quality having moved so far recently even small changes can make quite a useful difference.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »

Hi,

I wanted to offer some updates to this list of tweeks. The reason for this it that the noise problem I had is my system when the list was drawn up is now fixed. This means that I can hear much much being resolved now making some updated to the tweaks nessasary.

I have added additional comments below to items where observations have changed, one of which is very important to sound quality at least on my Asus X79WS MoBo.

Hope this is helpful, I would particularly recommend that Mani and Brian give 11c a go as we all have the same model of Mobo.

Regards,

Nick.

ps the comments are based on the High Res timer being disabled at a BIOS level as per another recent post.

Summary of tweeks.

1)   Eliminate ALL fans (CPU fan case fans etc)
2)   Take power off ALL drives but one (OS XX and Music on the single HDD)
3)   Power the one HDD from a linear power supply
4)   Remove power connections from DVD and Floppy Drives etc
5)   Turn off hyper threading

I plan to check this comment again and will post back.

6)   Over Clock the CPU
7)   Disable CPU “Clock Spreading” 
8 )   Turn off Intel Virtualisation
9)   Use PCIe USB 3 (NEC chipset)
10)   XX processor scheme 3, SFS around 350mb,

This was based on earlier versions of XX, on v09-z75 I am using SFS of 2mb (as is the case with many).

11)   Hygiene factor tweaks (Old hat stuff but for good measure)
a.   Disable Data Execution support (in Bios)
b.   Disable all Devices not needed for music (extra SATA controllers, USB ports etc etc in Device Manager)
c.   Disable all devices not used for Music in  Bios (Mobo
USB, Sound card, COM ports etc)

This was the big surprise for me, with my system now much more able to resolve than before I find that disabling devices in Bios is very bad for sound quality. With unused devices disabled I get a very unplesant hardness in the upper mid range, life leaves the music and it just sounds more digital. Its worth trying turning these devices on if you currently have them turned off in Bios, I was really surprised when tried this.

I have not gone as far as turning the LAN cards back on in Bios but that is the next test, will update again if this is posertive.

Note that whilst devices are back on in Bios I still have all of these devices disabled in Device Manager as per 11b)

Audio PC

Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:43:21 am »

For those who currently have separate HDDs for Music and W7/XXHE, what is the easiest way to put W7/XXHE on the music HDD?

Is it necessary to reinstall W7 and XXHE on the music HDD, or put it on a new partition?

Thanks.

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »

For those who currently have separate HDDs for Music and W7/XXHE, what is the easiest way to put W7/XXHE on the music HDD?

Is it necessary to reinstall W7 and XXHE on the music HDD, or put it on a new partition?

Thanks.

Stanley

Stanley hi,

First back up your music drive (you proberbly don't want to re-rip 100s of CDs).

Then from there I would try to add a second partition to the music drive. I would make it at least 20gb so windows does not run out of space. Often you can add a partition and not lose the data on the drive but it's not guaranteed which is why you must back up your music.

Install windows on to the new partition and then install XX on the music drive either in the new windows partition or the partition where the music lives.

This should give you all of your OS music and XX on the same single physical HDD.

Hope this helps,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:30 am »

2c here :

A raw install of W7 incl. SP1 takes 31GB.
If you leave it around that (no, not around - rather a little more) you won't be able to apply any upgrades (not that they are foreseen (like SP2) but possibly to W8).
We always make the OS partition 90GB to have some headreoom for upgrades plus sufficient space for additional programs. 90GB will do fine then, although it will be on the large size. Minimum would be 60GB.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:33 am »

Thanks Nick, I will have a go for it asap.

The music HDD is 2 TB with 500 GB music, so plenty of space for a 90 GB partition.

For a re-installation of W7 and XXHE I will need a new activation key, sorry Peter  blush1

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: