XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 10:36:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My first Windows 8 experience  (Read 311302 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:00 am »

I think it could be time to enlist the help of other ears to come along and listen to what I am hearing. So Mani and Nick (and anyone else?) you are most welcome to come and help (as I am beginning to feel a bit isolated  scratching). But first there are those mystery feet and (not mentioned before) I have small "sugar cubes" and resonators providing room treatment. So first things first I will remove all of those tonight and listen again. The Bybees will have to stay the thought of taking my speakers apart again - uurrgghh. And anyway I would find it very difficult to believe that they would do something different to the sound under W8 (hey but who knows).

Just a note about stereo imaging - It certainly does sound very different here in W8 compared with W7 but it does not sound *wrong* or *phasy* but for sure I will listen again tonight with the room treatment stuff removed.

Just a note again about my listening environment - it is about as difficult as it is possible to get (no sorry Nick you have to get top honours there!!!). I mentioned elsewhere that it took me a long time to get it to sound good. There is a big suck out in the lower registers and just about every speaker (inc. big and small transmission lines, quad esl) I have tried here just sound awful. It is only pure luck that I ended up with AN/E's and I have been able to improve the bass by moving the speakers very close (5cm) to the rear "walls" so boosting bass (rear firing ports!) to the point where it actually sounds OK now. But the character of the room is still dry and there is very little of the standing wave and "boxy" effects that can occur in many other "normal" rooms. So maybe my very odd room shape could be a factor here. There is also no wall or hard shiny windows between the speakers but I think that is a good thing to balance off some of the bad things about the room.

Anyway more fun for tonight.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Leo
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2013, 10:57:40 am »

Well , my two cents comparing W7 and W8 using the Hellborg test track. I used my 'optimized'(copy of Peter's actually) settings for both OS, using 2 Ramdisks for each, same volume setting (-19,5)
The differences are huge and I will probably lose all audio-respectability with my preference for W8.
There is much more to listen to and to me absolutely not artificial sounding but very real extra detail on most instruments. When the bassdrum is used it is almost startling with  detail in the attack and development of the sound. With W7 it is just a low thud. When the bass guitar plays I hear a growl on the string attack with W8 which I can not find when listening to W7.
The origin of the sound seems more constricted with W7, it is much more tame to me.
Only thing could be that the spread of the cymbals from left to right was very wide in W8 making the drumset larger than life . This aspect seemed more realistic with W7.
Well whatever the road from here will be I really hope that this lifelike and exciting aspect of W8 will be part of it.
Leo
PS
this was after two runs of the track on both OS, tomorrow I will try again and see how stable my opinions are

PPS
I did not check for this roomfilling aspect mentioned in the previous post as I was glued to my seat Happy

Dedicated silent audio pc HFX classic, Windows 8 pro 64bit  / Intel 3930 CPU 6 cores 12 threads,  ASRock x79 Extreme4-M/ SeaSonic Platinum 400w ATX PSU / 16Gb RAM , music on (SATAIII), MinOS/ Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/1/1/1 Qf=1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 1-2* @ UnAttended  /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=0,4 max= 120*  XT Tweaks balanced load 43, nervous=100, cool when idle 1, Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB with Dexa clock -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.3 (2ms) ->  direct to AMP: Gainclone mid high, Hypex DPS400 low, horn system (tractrix for mid/high, BD for bass with Oris200)
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:33 am »

Well , my two cents comparing W7 and W8 using the Hellborg test track. I used my 'optimized'(copy of Peter's actually) settings for both OS, using 2 Ramdisks for each, same volume setting (-19,5)
The differences are huge and I will probably lose all audio-respectability with my preference for W8.

Hi Leo,

I am in favour of W8 just the same but I did not compare the Helborg test track... I have listened for a few days to W8 only and I just love what I am hearing.

Clean, clear, tight, stable and a solid listening window where nothing jumps out or shows articial affects.

I can truely see what is happening now, much less "virtual".

No reason for me to go back to W7!  Happy

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29:41 am »

Paul hi,

I was going to pm you to set up a visit to yours. I'm really interested to catch up. We will certainly have a lot to try out Happy Personally I would not get worried about what you are hearing, I was astounded by how easy it was to hear that the Adnaco was not as good as direct usb connection. I would be very happy to come and lend an ear.

I am keen to try our DaCs back to back as well, you will know why  Wink

will pm you,

Cheers

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2013, 11:30:00 am »

Hi Bert - what changed in your setup? the last post of yours I read you preferred W7. Just interested to know what you changed.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2013, 11:35:25 am »

Nick - You are always very welcome. I would also be interested to also compare amps as I now have the BG NX's and I seem to remember you have installed caps but I cannot remember what you ended up with but I know you have a different arrangement to me.

It would also value your opinion of what the room treatment things I have now do to the SQ.

Paul

manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »

Paul, Nick, if you happen to be meeting up any day this week, I might be able to join you. Just let me know...

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »

Hi Bert - what changed in your setup? the last post of yours I read you preferred W7. Just interested to know what you changed.

Hi Paul,

Several things changed (more transparancy, more dynamics, more resolution) and W8 could not ruin the good mood so something is very right!

Using Peter's settings.

But I have not heard W7 with the changes to the system (speaker wire, RAM disk and one other which I want to keep for myself at a moment).

I will go back to W7 soon (easy job with the multi-boot PC) and then I'll know.

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2013, 04:52:06 pm »

Jud post #279 describes exactly what I am observing in my system. No setting or tweak up to today has been able to change that. In fact when I switch back to win7 ANY music I play sounds so engaging that i find myself listening to complete albums, where in win 8 it takes an effort to listen into 2 minutes into a track. This IS about the musical fabric that is lacking in win8.

That's the way it is here, I do not intend to judge anyone in this forum on an opposite experience.
The pro-win8 lot have something fundamentally different in their systems or rooms. This could be about the filtering or absence thereoff in the playback chain. I don't buy this is a matter of (bad Grin) tase.
We should be able to sort this out together.

For your entertainment hereunder some stuff I tried:

XX on a primo RAMdisc on win7 did no good to the sound, adding a nasty edge and destroying some of the musical magic. I was under the impression that Primo does not support win8, so I did not try. I might as well give the IMdisc a shot. I suspect however that this will not change win8 into a super win7, but if it does that would be nice.

I got some progress in win8 and win7 with disabeling the motherboard devices that are not in use (mobi usb3, com ports, unused usb2 chipset, etc) with "device manager". The sound gets a little more coherent, nothing really big.

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:38 pm »

Filemail?

Hi Peter,

Is the track still on-line? I would like to play it before going back to W7.

Bert

BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #295 on: February 11, 2013, 07:51:56 pm »

Thanks Peter,

I just played it on W8 for a few seconds and got very confused about the sound. Nothing adds up and all is extremely phasy as if polarity is f*cked up all over the place.

Unlistenable but totally different to all recordings I have played on W8 before where I never heard things like that...that's weird.

Totally stupid mix as if all is playing in and around your head but not in front of you as usual.

One solution to make it sound more acceptable is to exchange the absolute phase (only possible without PA activated). This way things have more their place in the reproduced image (without describing this as a natural image).

Tried W7 but that did not work, somehow explorer is corrupted and does not want to start. My guess is that the W8 Shell replacement changed things within the W7 directory...is that even possible?

I will try to re-install (repair) W7 later so that it will play there too but I can't imagine that W7 will change that Jonas Hellborg track into a normal recording because if it does then all my other recordings will probably sound wrong...

Bert

Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 11, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »

Jud post #279 describes exactly what I am observing in my system. No setting or tweak up to today has been able to change that. In fact when I switch back to win7 ANY music I play sounds so engaging that i find myself listening to complete albums, where in win 8 it takes an effort to listen into 2 minutes into a track. This IS about the musical fabric that is lacking in win8.

[snip]

For your entertainment hereunder some stuff I tried:

XX on a primo RAMdisc on win7 did no good to the sound, adding a nasty edge and destroying some of the musical magic. I was under the impression that Primo does not support win8, so I did not try. I might as well give the IMdisc a shot. I suspect however that this will not change win8 into a super win7, but if it does that would be nice.

Regards, Coen

Hi, Coen.  Primo RAMdisk works without problem in Win8.  I have both the XX drive and Playback Drive in both OSes on RAMdisks configured with Primo as "direct I/O," which all the reviews say is faster.

But even with this setup on Win8 (exactly the same as Win7), I heard what I heard.

Funny that Win8 does enough things very right that I thought when listening to Win8 exclusively it was the best I'd ever heard XXHE.  But then I compared to Win7 and that was it, literally 5 seconds or less and I knew.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »

Thanks Peter,

I just played it on W8 for a few seconds and got very confused about the sound. Nothing adds up and all is extremely phasy as if polarity is f*cked up all over the place.

Unlistenable but totally different to all recordings I have played on W8 before where I never heard things like that...that's weird.

[snip]

I will try to re-install (repair) W7 later so that it will play there too but I can't imagine that W7 will change that Jonas Hellborg track into a normal recording because if it does then all my other recordings will probably sound wrong...

Bert

Hi, Bert.  I am wondering if the way the track falls apart on Win8 has to do with the rhythmic complexity and instrumental interplay.  Everything I was listening to when liking Win8's presentation so much was more like solo vocalist with a couple of instruments accompanying, and rhythmically simple.

I had to get to bed before getting the chance to compare any other tracks in the two OSs.  I will try to do that in the next day or two.  But it would be difficult for me to believe that Win7 could get the Hellborg so right and helplessly screw up everything else.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »

Hi, Bert.  I am wondering if the way the track falls apart on Win8 has to do with the rhythmic complexity and instrumental interplay.  Everything I was listening to when liking Win8's presentation so much was more like solo vocalist with a couple of instruments accompanying, and rhythmically simple.

I played some big brass bands too where some sounded weird and unacceptable but different (for now I blame that on the recording) but also some that sounded very much okay and spacious and deep as if all was happening there and not in my head.

I hope I can get W7 back to work quickly to be able to check out the weirdness...  scratching

GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:47 pm »

Peter, I would like to do the test too, but I already threw 7 out.
Maybe I'll have to go back to get more happy?

What I think happened here was a change in sound during one album on Win8. I played for my children a K3-album ( whistle) and they are happy to jump around. But the first track already sounded weird. A lot of bass but like it was mixed with glue and could not get loose. Mid's sound recessed, highs not airy.
But since the kids didn't complain I left it on.
But a couple of songs later the sound became more normal.
I thought maybe it's warmup of the amps or me getting used to it.
But then it shouldn't be a 'new' experience. And I heard it the first time I tried Win 8 and thought I got rid of it when I changed to your settings.
After reading your distortion story I felt I could write this without making a fool of myself!

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  All
  Print  

Jump to: