XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 03:49:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your first RAM-OS Disk Upgrade ! 14393.0  (Read 88930 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:37:55 pm »

Hi all owners of the RAM-OS Disk,

Today 's the day of the first official upgrade to the RAM-OS Disk; I have been testing Windows 10 Build 14393.0 and oh boy is it worth while !

For my own situation it is more of everything. But if anything, I'd say the balance is more towards the bass now. Quite odd is, that I dedicate this a mixture of Windows 7 for the bass and W10-10074 for the highs, alhough this latter is more fresh. So those who are used to 10074 (or still remember it) it is a similar flavor of the highs, but more metal and therefore much more realistic. Also it is again more towards the Silverstone USB card (which I do not use any more). The power of the bass is what I recall myself from Windows 7 (SP1).
N.b.: I hope I can speak for all of you, because I have again something new in my chain (and indeed meant for you all as well, later) and very maybe it can be so that this new "device" normalizes the highs so something very pleasant and special and without it, possibly the highs may come across as "overdone".

Notice : From of W10-14383 (which is the first one I tested at the heading of the "redstone" release (which is 14393) a new version of XXHighEnd is required.

So in the Operating System (which you can download, see more below) there's 2.06b installed. The older versions (from of 2.01) work too, but not in Minimized OS and Unattended (things will stall after playback).

Another thing to note is that the latest Windows 10 versions (like 14393.0) have problems with "maintaining" the taskbar alive in Minimized OS. Now as we know from experience, we don't need much of it, but still it may require some experience to really not be bothered by it. But for example, it implies that all you might need for your audio operation needs to be on the Desktop (in icon fashion). Also, teach yourself not to minimize things to the taskbar, because after that it will be frozen "on there". Anyway, you will see an icon for Taskmanager on the desktop, because you might need Taskmanager at stages the Taskbar won't allow for rightclick (and start TaskManager from there).

To obtain the Windows 10 14393.0 Operating System (with everything installed in there, including an activated XXHighEnd as usual), drop me an email (sales phasure com). You will be returned an email without personal hello's and good bye's and if you have questions, please put them in here (and not by email).

Installation

Method 1 :
Easiest (for understanding) is to boot into your "service OS", which is the TRIAL denoted one. If this is still 10565 for you, then first set the system date to Sept. 2, 2015 (otherwise 10565 won't boot). If this is 14388 then all is fine (see RAM OS Disk - Upgrade 10565 TRIAL in case you want to upgrade the TRIAL to 14388). You will apply the file to drive C: in this case (see below as well).

Method 2 :
The even more easy way is staying where you are (BASE or RAM) but understanding what you are doing could be a bit more difficult.  You will apply the file to drive D: in this case (see below as well). Of course - if you are booted from RAM at this time - you must not forget to put your RAM OS Disk in your PC and perform Stop-RightClick - "Boot into" so the disk gets mounted.

The file you receive is zipped. Unzip it and put it in the root of your RAM-OS Disk (where the others are and notice above mentioned drive C: vs. D:).
Save the zip somewhere, as it can serve as backup file (similar to the "Copy" versions you received in the RAM-OS Disk). However, notice that you can also throw it away because later you will be able and allowed to download it again.

The below shows what you should achieve :

So you see the two 14393.0 entries in there, and after you have put the OS file in the root of your RAM-OS Disk the "New" button allows for adding the OS to the Boot Menu. This is quite self explanatory, and otherwise there's ToolTip help in there.
Notice that after the new boot entries have been created (with the name you give them), one will be named like the name you gave, and the other will have received the addition "Memory" (you see that in the screenshot above as well). Best is to change the descriptions (after pressing Refresh so the new entries show) similar to the ones you already have (with the nice "BASE" and "RAM" in there). Do not forget to click Apply after you changed the descriptions.

Set back the date to "today" if you have changed it.

Space constraints

Most of you will have the RAM-OS Disk which is 500GB or 750GB. However, there's also teh Stealth PC and the RAM-OD "Disk" shipped with that, which is an SSD of 240GB. This will reach its limits after adding this OS (but it will fit).
Now, notice that you are perfectly allowed to delete an OS file from the disk/ssd, obviously one you never use anyway. Or even better : copy it to elsewhere. Doing this for one, will free close to 30GB of space, if you also delete (move) the "Copy" version of it.
Of course you can move the "Copy" versions of all of the OSes to elsewhere ...

While the above was about storage space, there's also a memory space little issue;
You will notice that this file is ~2.5GB larger than what you are used to. This is related to the more space the 14393.0 OS itself requires after installation. The effect is that for those with 16GB of internal memory, the free memory now runs a little on the low side with the notice that now 2.5GB less free memory is available after the OS has been loaded into RAM (and has been booted from there). This still should work fine, but it *is* less than what you are used to.
For the Stealth PC users this is no problem anyway, because that has 32GB of internal memory.

Last remark and now for the Stealth users again :
You may have noticed that the 10586.0 OS was shipped at 25GB of size (instead of 13GB). This was deliberate because it sounds better. I have not tested it myself with the larger file for 14393.0 (so I use the same 15.5GB you will receive), but notice that you can always make it larger *IF* you have the memory available (and with 16GB of memory this is out of the question). Directions for that  are available by email (nothing changed there). Also notice that once the OS File has been made larger, it will be impossible to shrink it to the original size you received it; it is possible to shrink it "somewhat" but the procedure is tedious and not really available (I did it once). Moral : Make a copy of the file before you start expanding it, so you can always go back to the original size when needed.

Happy listening !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:21:47 pm »

All,

I was wondering ... Does the procedure work in the first place ?
I'm asking because I don't see any feedback so I just wondered. If it sounds like sh*t you can say it too, of course.

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »

Peter,

I should have mine installed in the next hour Happy

I suppose I can copy The version 2.06b to the other versions too, including Windows 8 ?

Thanks,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »

Alain, no, don't attempt that.

Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:10:30 pm »

Ok, but do you mean "no" only for Windows 8 and/or all the other Win 10 versions ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 02:32:50 pm »

No for anything and everything.
We never could do such a thing and nothing changed there ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:16:23 pm »

But didn't we port the v2.06 on all OSes with the ram-os drive ? (v.2.06 + 2.06a)

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »

Peter,

The increasing in size went fine.

Then I accessed the audio PC locally with a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

The NEW file creation in the "Boot into" menu also went fine. Modified the titles with "BASE" on the BASE option and did a few "Refresh" (to get more familiar only) and even closed the menu to restart it.

Accessing now through RDC...

Allowed the share of the music drive that sits on the Server PC.

Creation of shortcuts on the desk (icons) for:
- "All Control Panel Items".
- "This PC".

As prescribed, I did not add them on the taskbar.

I cannot change the date and time (BASE, normal OS mode) since it requires NOT to have the administrator privilege.

Made all the adjustments on XXHighEnd.

Works fine Happy

Going in Minimized OS mode now.
There is a picture in XXHE, maybe an album cover or something else ? I thought it has disappeared with Minimize OS but it is still there.

It seems to load longer when accessing (through RDC), but is OK. I did not check this through local connection (in Minimized OS).

Sound is very nice and "full". I will need to compare (this will take some time). But I like it Happy

In RAM it plays fine too Happy I will play with it for a while now Happy

Regards,

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »

The percussions... They seem more lively and present ? Am I imagining this ?

I have created a new topic here instead:
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=3686.0

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »

Alain, all posts about this are fine in here !
Will respond to a few things now ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:56:56 pm »

There is a picture in XXHE, maybe an album cover or something else ?

Alain, Do you mean some left over of my own situation over here ?

Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 03:59:47 pm »

Alain,

I cannot change the date and time (BASE, normal OS mode) since it requires NOT to have the administrator privilege.

Possibly you mean via the normal clicking on the date/time ?
I never even attempt that because it usually does not work anyway - certainly not in MinOS. So I always start a command prompt and apply
date [enter]
I just tried it ... works for 14393.0 just the same ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »

Thanks,
Peter
It sould be (a leftover), but since I never play with images, it is probably easy to remove it if someone is used to it ? For the moment, it is not a concern for me (just an observation).

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »

Alain,

Possibly you mean via the normal clicking on the date/time ?
I never even attempt that because it usually does not work anyway - certainly not in MinOS. So I always start a command prompt and apply
date [enter]
I just tried it ... works for 14393.0 just the same ...

Peter
Yes, my attempt was through the date on the taskbar...

I don't know why I stopped doing this through the command prompt. I will follow that path from now on.

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 04:22:10 pm »

Thanks,
Peter
It sould be (a leftover), but since I never play with images, it is probably easy to remove it if someone is used to it ? For the moment, it is not a concern for me (just an observation).

If possible, can you show it to me ?
Or otherwise, where does it show ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: