XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 19, 2024, 12:08:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gainclone heaven ?  (Read 375139 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2013, 11:39:50 am »

Nick - your amp is looking very nice!. So much so I have succumbed to temptation and have started ordering parts to build one myself!!. I probably have enough parts here to convert my existing amp into balanced mode (except transformers of course) but that would mean an unacceptable period of time without music. Also I think I have a buyer for the existing amp. so I should recover costs.

The layout will be slightly different (I just need to double check I can do it though) and I will be using Blackgate NX decoupling caps as I am using at the moment.

Looking forward to dusting off my soldering iron. 

Do you find the balanced amp generates significantly more heat?

Happy days!!

Paul

Paul hi,

Regards the heat it runs warmer but not that much. The playing at -30db out of the NOS (which is louder because of the balanced design compared to single ended) the amp just gets warn, say 40 deg C on the case sides. The copper heat sink arrangement in the Modu case seems to work very well so the chips are the same temp as the case.

The NOS1 appears to have no problem driving 8 amp modules. I think using your Black gates as input caps would be a good move, the Mondorfs I have are only 5.8uf and are driving two amp modules per capacitor so they are theoretically marginal for the -3db low pass point, but I have to say that listening the much stronger, snappier base is a big feature of the sound so the 5.8uf caps are ok for now.

I would be tempted to build new a new amp myself. It would be worth having a chat off line, I spent quite a while working out the details of the signal earth, heat sink and setup the case work / wiring. If you use the same layout I can help with some ideas and pointers on materials etc.

Besides the sound quality, the amp behaves in a very civilised way, absolutely no clicks or pops turning on and off and very very quiet (save for a small amount of transformer hum from one of the transformers, need to think if this is worth changing out the transformer for).

The amp has a very valve like warmth and presence but with detail and extension at both ends. I guarantee you will not regret building one for your system (except the hours and hours it takes ha ha  Happy ).

Happy to pop down with it if you want to try it in your system.

Speak soon,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2013, 01:28:20 pm »

Nice job Nick!

And I'd be happy to bring along my BD-Design monos if you'd like. Could be an interesting gathering...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »

Mani - Nick I will check diary and get back to you later with possible dates.

Looking forward to it already.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »

Nice job Nick!

And I'd be happy to bring along my BD-Design monos if you'd like. Could be an interesting gathering...

Mani.

Sounds like fun Mani, that would be great.

From the internal shots of Berts amps its looks like there are some very fine components in them. It will be really interesting to see how Berts parallel bridged design with input buffering (I think) compares to the Bii-amped bridged approach I have taken.

I am sure there will be some nice sounds  Happy

Regards,

Nick.

PS could you bring any balanced interconnects along that you rate ? At the moment I am using a set I make up for the new amp which are loosely based on a VH Audio diy recipe that Paul put me onto, but I'm keen to hear other good cables.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »

At last the parts are here and I have now started to build a bridged biamped GainClone similar to Nick's. But there there will be some differences in layout. I will post pictures as I go along. Nick bought his balanced GainClone here yesterday and both Nick and I will post what happened during the day. Suffice to say my enthusiasm to build is even more than it was before now that I have heard it!!

The following is a picture of the amplifier so far!!

Nick and I have learnt from each others experiences building these GainClones and we will post of summary of all the things we consider to be important at the end of the build.

Can't wait to get my drill out and start filling those boxes!!.

Regards

Paul

* 1.png (86.31 KB, 640x318 - viewed 5161 times.)

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2013, 08:26:10 am »

Nervous times - settling on the layout of the amp is the "point of no return" when holes are being drilled in the cases. Anyway the supplier of my copper heat sink let me down and so I decided to go ahead without the copper and bolt the chips direct onto the case sides. That will make wiring later more more difficult but doable.

Just a little concerned that passing the ps wiring through the side of the case is not ideal because it is after all a heat sink. But there is little option really - I used 10mm OD rubber tubing to protect the wiring through the 13mm transit holes (the rubber expands when the wiring is pulled through). I had to use talcum powder to get the wiring through the rubber tubing as it was a tight fit but not too difficult really. The advantage is that the amplifier smells great!!.

Drilling big holes through the profiled sides of the case is not easy great care is needed.

By the way I drilled and then tapped the holes used to bolt the chips to the case side because it is difficult to get access to the back of the case side and I will want to remove those amp boards later to match offsets. Also I really like running a tap through a hole - it is just one of the jobs is very satisfying!

Regards

Paul

* 1.png (144.17 KB, 640x447 - viewed 4892 times.)

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:37 pm »

Power in and working - the transformers will shortly be bolted down Peter!!

* 1.png (120.05 KB, 640x398 - viewed 4744 times.)

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2013, 08:56:13 pm »

All the hardware finished and started to wire up amp modules. Amp modules have been selected to minimise offset voltages at the speaker terminals. Lucky that four of the modules had offsets of 54 to 57mv so offset voltages should be very low of the order of 1 to 3mv (hopefully!!!) to the LF units. Offsets at the HF units not so important but even so will only be of the order 15-30mv but as there is a capacitor in the crossover that is not an issue.

* 1.png (139.22 KB, 640x427 - viewed 5602 times.)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »

Another super nice "drawing" appeared !

Nice job so far Paul. Super nice ...

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2013, 07:37:24 am »

Earthing is the next challenge....... watch this space!!!

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:44 pm »

Paul,

It's looking very nice, not far to go now ! Really looking forwards to having a listen to your finished amp. There are subtle differences in our builds, will they be audible I wonder ?

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:39 am »

Power lines wired up to amplifier boards and earthing wired in. Last step to come is to wire up speaker binding posts and XLR's. I have to say this has turned out to be a much bigger project than I had anticipated - if I had not heard Nick's amp at this stage I would have been wondering if the effort would have been worth it. At least I know the answer to that!!.

* 1.png (303.25 KB, 1024x617 - viewed 4623 times.)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #282 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:11 am »

Hey Paul,

Assuming you caught some sleep last night - thus while you still have a chance : Make all of your output wires exactly as long. Wink

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:31 am »

At last - another early morning start and the amp is finished. I totally underestimated the work - this was a big project eight amplifiers in one box is a lot of wiring and when you try to make the wiring neat the time increases a lot. A check of the offsets showed just +3mv and -4mv to the LF drivers. So how does it sound? well no surprise just like Nick's when he brought it here. The main difference is the sheer effortless presentation of the music, the sound is bigger stretching beyond the speakers bass extremely well controlled all clearly delineated. The difference with a balanced setup is not subtle at all. The only downside at the moment is that the sound has a slight rough edge but the amp has just been switched on and so needs some running in. Also the interconnects I made use transformer wire and I will be rebuilding them with fine silver wire which is what sounded best when Nick came here. My old setup used the fine silver interconnect and it makes a significant improvement to my system.

A big thanks to Nick for the inspiration to build this amp - the SQ is really top notch. Ros and I will shortly be going to visit Nick and I shall be taking the amp with me to compare with Nick's. That may sound odd but we have found it really beneficial to compare our amps it is the only way to iron out any small problems that we would not otherwise find. We will post more after that visit.

If you are thinking about building a balanced bi amped amp do not hesitate do it you will not regret it (except the amount of work perhaps).

If anyone wants to know more information do not hesitate to post - Nick and I have been through the "pain" and we would be happy to share our experiences if it helps.

Paul

PS - Oh just one thing - when running at high volume (-21db with my 98db sensitivity speakers) and with a highish ambient temperature the heat sinks on my amp get very hot ~ 45deg C so I will have to look at improving that. Nick does not have a problem with his 115db speakers. I am using the whole case of my amp as a heat sink. Each amp is now seeing 4ohms output Z so significantly more current being delivered to the speakers.

PPS - Also I started off with earthing arrangement as I had previously i.e. with L and R channel grounds not connected to each other and not connected to PE - the result was that there was some "mains hum" through the left speaker and less through the right speaker. I then connected L and R channel grounds to PE - the result? total silence no noise at all through either L or R speakers. So the grounding requirements for balanced amp is different - not totally surprising but the only way to find out is to experiment.

Watch this space for more info ..............

* 1.png (153.43 KB, 800x519 - viewed 6001 times.)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

Hey Paul, remember this one ? http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=642.msg14360#msg14360 (bottom picture in that post)
I counted 75 pieces of cut wire there, and this was from the final assembly of one NOS1.

But your end product looks nicely tidey and neat !
Good result on the DC Offset as well (eh, how couldn't you hehe)

So, N&P Productions ... is it actually common these days to see GainClones in a balanced setup ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  All
  Print  

Jump to: