XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 19, 2024, 03:48:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gainclone heaven ?  (Read 374962 times)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:00 am »

I concur with Peter,

LF below the cutoff frequency of the loudspeaker is probably worse than DC. even with 1Volt DC across the terminals, with an 8 ohm (nominal, 7 Ohms DC resistance)  this translates to 140mWatt of power. This is not going to blow your amp on transients.

LF below the c.o. frequency is not well damped by the speaker (if at all). This means high excursions wich is bad for linearity when playing loud, limiting the peaks and not to forget gives rise to doppler effects, modulating the signal.

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:16 pm »

Hi,

My system has too much gain and I wanted to ask for comments and advice about losing gain with the least impact on sound quality.

To connect my NOS to my gainclone amps, as I am using phase alignment, I have 5.6 uf capacitors on the inputs to my gainclone modules. The input capacitors work with the 22k ohm input load resistor of the gainclones to give a high pass filter with a -3db power point of 1.3 hz (optimal point for response down to 13hz). All good so far.

The problem I have it that in my system as a whole the 2v output level of the NOS combined with the 28db gain of the gainclones and 105db/m/w response of my speaker means that I have about 15db too much gain in the replay chain.

This means to set a reasonable playback level using only the XXHE software  volume control to generate a "loud" listening level I have to play at a -30db volume setting in XXHE. I think that the 32 bit based volume calculations and 24 bid DAC have the headroom to play at this level but the issue is that -30 db turns the 2 volt full scale NOS output into only 6mv full scale output from the NOS ! I can hear that at this signal amplitude by the time the signal has traversed interconnects and gainclone input caps, sound quality is being impacted. I have been using transformer volume controls (TVC's) to "soak up" some surplus gain but I am very keen to take these out of the system.

My question is dose anyone have any ideas about how I can lose about 15 db of signal level. Ideally I would do this after the signal has been passed through the 5.6uf input caps if the gainclones. The obvious way is to pass the signal through a potential divider with resisters chosen to lose the gain. I have been trying this but so far have not had great results as far as sound quality is concerned (this might just be the resistor values I have tried so far). Does anyone have any ideas on a good way to lose 15 db of gain whilst maintaining sound quality ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Leo
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:12 am »

Hello Nick,

I do not have the values and numbers of the resistors for you at this moment but it is fairly easy to change the gain of the clone to lower values. If I remember correctly you can't go too low as the amplifier would become unstable but a fair range of adjustment is possible. Probably this was discussed on DIYaudio.
Just my 2 cts
Leo

Dedicated silent audio pc HFX classic, Windows 8 pro 64bit  / Intel 3930 CPU 6 cores 12 threads,  ASRock x79 Extreme4-M/ SeaSonic Platinum 400w ATX PSU / 16Gb RAM , music on (SATAIII), MinOS/ Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/1/1/1 Qf=1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 1-2* @ UnAttended  /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=0,4 max= 120*  XT Tweaks balanced load 43, nervous=100, cool when idle 1, Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB with Dexa clock -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.3 (2ms) ->  direct to AMP: Gainclone mid high, Hypex DPS400 low, horn system (tractrix for mid/high, BD for bass with Oris200)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2012, 09:10:21 am »

Leo, I guess that doesn't help much because it seems (to me) that Nick is missing some point in the "Gainclone basics".

So Nick, assumed I'm correct on this (which feels almost impossible - just saying) the Gainclones operate with gain resistors. See the datasheet. So, adjust those - done.
And *then* what Leo told applies.

Does this help, or was it only stupid of me that I thought you overlooked the obvious ?

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2012, 09:28:29 am »

Hey Nick - you can set your gain to whatever you need without affecting quality. The circuit diagram of your amps is below (I think!) and the gain you currently have will be:

Gain is  =1+Rf/R3, so 1+(22.1K/680)=33.5dB

You can change Rf and R3 to give a lower gain without affecting quality.

I would have thought best to change Rf and leave R3 at 680ohm. If Rf is the same spec i.e. Caddock as in the original kit then quality should not be affected.

Cheers

Paul

* GC.jpg (28.71 KB, 511x332 - viewed 6482 times.)

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »

Nick,

You really can't lower the gain of the amps to any extend. Iirc the datasheet tells that below 20X (26dB) the chip becomes unstable. You win 7dB at best.

A additional resistor devider at the input is easily calculated but introduces some unwanted series resitance, noise and minute distortions. I would go for a low as possible impedance that the opt of the NOS allows (1K?).

Another option is the transformer route. My opinion is that is can be done at very high cost, but some may argue that it will never work.

Both are a bit like introducing a fixed pre-amp in the chain.

If loud is -30 dB you might consider an unity gain amp (a buffer). I don't know if these a commercially available.

Otoh I am shure lowering the gain somewhat will work. Peter demoes on very sensitive speakers (his own and Berts latest) and i've had read no reports on having too much gain.

Fyi I have similar gain issues with my tube amp and have not found another solution that to redesign the amp with lower gain.

Regards, Coen

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2012, 04:12:36 pm »

Things are not completely comparable. IIRC my Gainclones are 30W and utilize a gain of 21dB. Can be 3dB less at least (I once had it like that).

Next I will play easily with -30dBFS (but -34.5 would be minimum by nature).

Lastly, nobody is really bothered by my playback level. That the room is some 290m3 does matter somewhat but not all that much (because of the directivity of the horns).

But where it all starts is my gain of 21 which is siginificantly less as the 38 I think I read from Nick's.

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:16 pm »

Leo, Paul, Coen, Peter,

Thanks all for your help with my gain question.

It's interesting that pointers are towards increasing feedback to reduce active gain and using passive attenuation, looking at it I think I may need to use both to drop 15db.

The gain factor of my gainclones 33.3 or 30.4db (thanks Paul). As Coen pointed out the LM3775 according the data sheet should not really go below 26db, so changing the feedback resistors could yield a 4db reduction. I'm worried that I may end up listening to a lot of negative feedback, but its easy to try so this could be option 1.

Option 2 is to apply passive attenuation on the inputs. The choice here would be to apply the attenuation before the input caps or after the caps and before the Gainclone modules. I guess after the caps would be best so the signal level is higher as it traverses the caps. The problem here is that I have just bought these rather nice (and expensive) mundorf silver gold oil caps which are the correct size for the standard gain clone module 22k input load. I like Coens suggestion about keeping the "input load" of a resistor potential divider as low as the NOS output can handle to keep series resistance of the input as low as possible. To lose 9 db on the input I could go with a potential divider of 820 and 270 ohms. The problem is at these values I would need input caps of 100uf a bit bigger than the new 5.6uf  mundorfs. Hummmm a bit to think about here.

Thanks guys for the help so far.

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:39 am »

Option 2 is to apply passive attenuation on the inputs. The choice here would be to apply the attenuation before the input caps or after the caps and before the Gainclone modules. I guess after the caps would be best so the signal level is higher as it traverses the caps.

I like Coens suggestion about keeping the "input load" of a resistor potential divider as low as the NOS output can handle to keep series resistance of the input as low as possible. To lose 9 db on the input I could go with a potential divider of 820 and 270 ohms. The problem is at these values I would need input caps of 100uf a bit bigger than the new 5.6uf  mundorfs. Hummmm a bit to think about here.

You're welcome!

I would first try to increase feedback on the amp and assess then if you are really in need of more attennuation.
The way the LM works is that I think a little extra feedback will not hurt sq (au contraire).

I see no reason to be afraid of low signal levels through the caps. If you need the divider please put it before the cap, you can keep you precious gold cap for minimum distortion. AFAIK larger voltages across caps can cause audible minute deforming of the dielectricum, so I'd rather keep them small.

regards, Coen

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:39 am »

Nick - this is a quote from Peter Daniel on the Audiosector forum about gain maybe As discussed above R1 will affect SQ but its easy enough to try it. Also I suppose that R1 at 22k may affect the L/C equation for the input caps but again easy enough to work out.

It's best to change the gain with R3, but I wouldn't go over 1k6 or so. If you need additional gain trimming, increase R1 (22k will give you -6dB gain reduction)
Unquote

Maybe 22k input R will not be ideal given the low output impedance of NOS1 - any comments Peter?

Am looking forward to hearing your system. After all the mods I have made to my system recently I have some spare amp boards (populated and burned in) I measured the quiescent offset voltages so if you measure the offset voltages on your amps we may (but we will need some luck) be able to find a combination where the Left Right offsets are reasonably well matched (at least for your bass units) which I assume (?) do not have capacitors in series with them in the crossover. I have matched my amps to within 5 mv offset for the bass units and it was worth doing (previously I had about 60mv offset difference) removing "confusion" in the stereo image and just sounded more coherent overall.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:31 am »

Coen,

Thanks again, I'll start with the feedback loop. I’ve been messing about with zero feedback valve amps for a few years before the gainlones came along so the idea of adding more feedback didn’t sit too well. It’s good to know that more feedback in a gainclone could be good for sound quality  Happy.

Also its interesting what you are saying about putting the passive potential divider before the caps.

Time to get some parts to give it a go.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »

Maybe 22k input R will not be ideal given the low output impedance of NOS1 - any comments Peter?

Well, why not ? It almost looks like you want it less ? (knowing that 47K and up will be normal for main amps)
Anyway, less is OK just the same. But I'd stop at 1K to be on the safe side (NOS1 is ~33R). And otherwise you'd hear it on the too tinny sound.

Nick, by all means try to avoid any (more) resistor in the signal path.
Also, the application of a feedback resistor is a most normal thing for these amplification means. It would be true though that there's an optimum for THD (and R value). Well, that's what I think. And when it is, it should be in the datasheet.

I would first try to increase feedback on the amp and assess then if you are really in need of more attennuation.

I agree with this. So, change RF as long as you can, before touching anything else.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:16 pm »

For anyone interested this is my latest Gainclone layout.

As you will see there are four amps for bi amping. Recently I rebuilt the amp modules selecting LM's to give small offset between channels (all in the interest of better phase alignment). I took the opportunity to simplify the layout of the amps by removing the aluminium heat sinks and bolting the LM's direct to the case. There is a little more internal wiring now but not much. The aluminium sinks were only there originally because I was lazy having used the Al sinks to breadboard test the amps first I just transferred them straight into the case. Much better without them.

One important thing I removed the plug and socket I used to have in the power cord that runs from the power supply to the amp. The reason is that if one of the power lines is lost to the amp 35V can appear across a speaker drive unit. That was a risk not worth taking so everything in the power delivered to the amps is hard wired.

The SQ nowadays still surprises me and I have to say when I look at the amps and think how much they cost to build I do smile from ear to ear as they "wipe the floor" with much much more expensive amps.

* Amp.JPG (83.86 KB, 639x326 - viewed 7756 times.)

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »

Hey Paul,

Thanks for posting the internal shots, we have ended up with very similar layout of the modules but in the next version I build am going to put the transformers in a separate case like yours. Good point about hard wiring the psu connections I think I will do that too.

Now i have to work out how to get a good layout with 8 modules and 4 transformers  grazy

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:12 am »

Paul,

Stupid question : are those transformers loose in there ? And if not, how do they stick ?
But if yes, try the sound when putting them on top of eachother (but have some pad in between them).

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22  All
  Print  

Jump to: