XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:31:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PCIe USB 3.0 host card  (Read 223465 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »

I have been tracing a problem in my PC / DAC and as one of the diagnostics I have added a PCIe USB3.0 card to my PC.

This is something that I have meant to try for a while as it changes the path and the available bandwidth for transfer of data from the CPU to the USB port (note the USB 3.0 card is just running is USB2.0 compatability mode to drive my NOS USB). Now that the card is installed it seems to have quite a positive influence on sound.

Having said this, I do agree generally with Peter that the NOS USB is not especially sensitive to USB interface / cable setup etc. But I do think there is perhaps more than "hot roding" a USB 2.0 card happening here.

[UPDATE I have checked the intel chipset architecture for my PC and the data routes that I had suggested here are not correct so I have removed them and updated the text below]

So with the PCIe USB 3.0 card the move to PCIe bus and the USB 3.0 host controller offer better transfer rates and lower transfer latency ( I think ..).

If you are using a more modern motherboard than I do that already has USB3.0 implemented then it may be that you already have the equiverlent of the PCIe USB 3.0 board. If you have a mother board with only USB 2.0 support but do a have PCIe bus then it might well be worth trying one of these cards. I have the NEC USB 3.0 host chip set and it works very well. I would be very interested to hear if others experience a positive effect from using a PCIe USB 3.0 Card. The outlay is low to give this a go at only £25 UKP.

http://www.ebuyer.com/287036-startech-2-port-usb3-0-pci-express-card-pexusb3s22

Sonically I am still pinning down the changes down but I think the sound has lost some digital hardness, bass is better controlled and extended and overall it sounds like the system has had a day to warm up even when it has just been turned on.

Any thoughts welcome.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:15:31 am »

Hi Peter- here are some notes that others may find useful- you can decide whether or not to post:
1 I use the USB 3 output. The USB 2 should theoretically have enough bandwidth, but it does not.
2 Check the on-board chip driver for USB 3. On my board, I had to upgrade for W7
3 Check the memory speed in the bios. My bios set the memory to the lowest speed (default) and I had to enter the correct speed by hand.
4 Use a USB cable rated for USB 3. I was using an expensive USB 2 cable. Today I switched to a cheap USB 3 cable. The difference in top end extension was *astounding*. You will need a USB A to USB B adapter because a true USB 3 B cable is not compatible with the NOS 1 USB input. System is now finally sounding 'high-end'.

This is what I received from an NOS1 customer on March 5th. So, just one day before your post, Nick.

I planned to have done something with it by now, but of course it needs that little converter. So that holds back. yes

Since the main part of this should (could) be caused by USB3 support being active in the OS (I think even in Nick's application), it looks like an interesting development;

I actively use USB3 - from the MoBo and through an USB3 hub - to playback from. This is related to a new XXHighEnd feature for 0.9z-7 which undoubtedly improves sound. That I use an USB3 disk for it is coincidence, but I - or we may now wonder whether USB3 being active in the OS does a couple of things.

Now I must find that adapter ...

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:01:06 am »

Peter hi,

I take your point about the drivers and OS support perhaps changing the way the data stream is handelled. Interesting....

I have been using the PCIe card and drivers for a week or so now and I am confident the setup is for the better now. My comment that it's like the system has had a day to warm up still stands or perhaps the difference is similar difference to that the straight continuous memory makes when changing from mixed continuous.

I will give the USB 3 lead a go and my hot rodded DIY USB lead and thank you to the other NOS customer for the suggestion.

Looking forward to z09-7  Happy

Best,

Nick

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »

I have USB3 on my mobo but have been using USB2 thus far. After a wire reroute I have now connected to the USB3 input. Definitely the sound is better and in the ways that Nick has described. But that is with a cheap USB2 cable I have just ordered a USB3 cable so it will be interesting to see how that performs I shall report back in a few days when I receive it.
Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »

I have USB3 on my mobo but have been using USB2 thus far. After a wire reroute I have now connected to the USB3 input. Definitely the sound is better and in the ways that Nick has described. But that is with a cheap USB2 cable I have just ordered a USB3 cable so it will be interesting to see how that performs I shall report back in a few days when I receive it.
Paul

Paul hi,

Very pleased to hear that there is a benifit in your system as well.

I am currently still using a UBS 2.0 cable but was not able to find a USB 3.0 cable that has the old USB 2.0 connection at the NOS USB end. Could you post a link to the cable that you ordered, thanks.

Nick.

Audio PC

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:44:54 pm »

Hi Nick - I had to go for A to A USB3 cable. The USB3 B plug includes new super speed connectors and is not compatible with the old B socket.  So I will try an adaptor with it as the email in Peter's post suggests

All the best

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »

So I will try an adaptor with it as the email in Peter's post suggests

Not that I have found one ...
swoon

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »

I guess you are going to tell me that I have ordered the wrong thing but this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Adaptor-USB-A-Male-USB-B-Female-/150772230271?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item231ab9a87f#ht_500wt_1156

is what I ordered and converts USB A to USB B (old style) of course the super speed connectors will not be connected to anything but this is what I read to be what the NOS1 user in Peter's email had done.  I am not sure why (without the superspeed connectors connected) there should be any improvement but it is cheap enough to try it out.

Besides the USB3 cable is blue and matches the colour of my NOS1 ha ha  Happy

Paul

juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

Maybe something like this: http://hiperusb.com/Adaptador-USB-3-0-a-USB-2-0-MicroUSB-AB-Hembra-a-B-Macho?keyword=UY43

Or like this:
http://hiperusb.com/Adaptadores-USB/Adaptador-USB-3.0-a-2.0/Adaptador-USB-3-0-a-USB-2-0-B-Hembra-a-B-Macho

Here there is a huge collection of USB adapters: http://hiperusb.com/Adaptadores-USB/Adaptador-USB-3.0-a-2.0

What I wonder is if there isn´t a bottleneck in the adapter itself or in the NOS1 because the USB 3.0 port in the mb and the USB 3.0 cable transmits data that are later received by the USB 3.0/USB 2.0 adapter and by the USB 2.0 port in the NOS 1.

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »

I guess you are going to tell me that I have ordered the wrong thing but this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Adaptor-USB-A-Male-USB-B-Female-/150772230271?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item231ab9a87f#ht_500wt_1156

is what I ordered and converts USB A to USB B (old style) of course the super speed connectors will not be connected to anything but this is what I read to be what the NOS1 user in Peter's email had done.  I am not sure why (without the superspeed connectors connected) there should be any improvement but it is cheap enough to try it out.

Besides the USB3 cable is blue and matches the colour of my NOS1 ha ha  Happy

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link, I see what you have in mind. Use a USB 3.0 extender cable (the slinky blue ones  Happy) from the PC then use the converter at the end to plug into the NOS. I will also try this way.

I would be supprised if the USB 3.0 spec connector made a difference anyway. I have not looked at the mechanical spec for USB 3.0 cable but I was expecting to see better shielding and and a higher bandwith capability similar to HDMI type cabling. Since the cost are in the "cheap-fi" range that we both like Happy no problems giving it a go.

Best Nick.

Audio PC

praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

I would be supprised if the USB 3.0 spec connector made a difference anyway. I have not looked at the mechanical spec for USB 3.0 cable but I was expecting to see better shielding and and a higher bandwith capability similar to HDMI type cabling.

I align with Nick that USB 3.0 cable (A male to A male : hard to find) plus USB 2 adapter (A female to B male that Paul ordered) would make any difference in sound quality compared to USB 2 cable with identical mechanical specification (similar internal conductors, shielding, dielectric , etc). Potentially, cheap USB 2 adapter can be a weak link that can degrade SQ.

To connect to NOS1 via USB 2 B male adapter, pin 5-9 in USB3 connector (http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/usb_3_0_connector_pinout.shtml) will be floated. Please see attached drawings. However, if we can actually experience better SQ, then it might be that typical stock USB 3 conductors can deliver higher bandwitdh, speed equivalent to those expensive USB 2 cables. It is a cheap try though.

best,
Praphan

* usb_3_plug.gif (1.61 KB, 106x180 - viewed 2840 times.)

* usb_a_b_male.gif (1.38 KB, 106x153 - viewed 9205 times.)

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »

I am just now listening to a very familiar recording and there is no doubt about it - USB3 sounds better. Count and Dizzie have never sounded better.

Thanks Nick another free upgrade and the next upgrade (potentially) the AB adapter for £1 (delivered free) to use with my USB3 cable. It may or may not make a difference but hey that is the sort of risk I am willing to take.

Wink

Paul

praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »

I am just now listening to a very familiar recording and there is no doubt about it - USB3 sounds better. Count and Dizzie have never sounded better.

Congratulation Paul !

I guess you were using USB2 cable connecting to USB3 port for the listening test. If so, then it has nothing to do with the cable. It is all about USB3 port. Can anyone explain ?

thanks,
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »

Hi Praphan - yes indeed I am using a cheap USB2 cable. I suspect that Nick is close to the reason why it sounds better when he mentions the improved internal USB3 architecture but who knows?.

But what really interested me is this comment in the email quoted in Peter's post earlier in this thread:

I was using an expensive USB 2 cable. Today I switched to a cheap USB 3 cable. The difference in top end extension was *astounding*. You will need a USB A to USB B adapter because a true USB 3 B cable is not compatible with the NOS 1 USB input. System is now finally sounding 'high-end'.

On first thoughts I cannot imagine why the USB3 cable connected through an adapter should sound so much better but I am looking forward to finding out in the next few days if indeed it does in my system.

What a great hobby this is!!! tweakers paradise.

Paul

Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »

I can find an usb 3.0 A male to A male but I haven't been able to find an usb 3.0 A female to usb 2.0 B male adapter  scratching

Any suggestions for a source?

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  All
  Print  

Jump to: